How I Fixed a Hole in My Wall

$15

While doing our master bathroom renovation we pulled out the old very small mirrored medicine cabinet. It stuck out of the wall a few inches and was in an awkward spot. It left a hole in the wall .

Hole in the wall

This was the dated 1970's mirror

You can see there was no need for this small mirror

Instead of just putting up some sheetrock and patching up the wall , I thought I could use that space to add some character to the wall in it's place.

So I measured and cut some beadboard to fill in the hole area .

Not perfect , but caulk can fix it !

Next I cut some moulding to fit around the sides and top . For the bottom moulding , I used the same moulding I used on top of the beadboard on the wall opposite the large mirror .

We used caulk to seal all the seams

Next was time to decorate it !

I ran around the house and grabbed a few things I had in other rooms .

Well , first my husband updated the thermostat and put in an old fashioned style push button light switch .

Pretty hole in the wall

We are so glad we took the time to add some charm to the bathroom , instead of just covering up the hole !

Sorry , bad lighting 😕

Before and after

Before
And after ...

• Teri

I love your light fixture! Where is it from? The bathroom is very pretty!

• Pamela

Thank you !

I got the light fixture from a small lighting store , located in

Holmdel , NJ . I believe the the name of the store is called Alex Dee's lighting.

• Eliza

Hello Pamela 🌼

Did you do your own drywall / sheetrock in your bathroom as I want to do ours and save money. Have water damage from leaking shower which we are fixing and must replace some subfloor very little money so cutting out some of the drywall and wish to replace ourselves and replacing would be a reward money wise. Would you or your husband if he did the drywall, be willing to post some info on how to do that cut out old drywall ? Cannot afford contractors got family members medical bills.

Like your bathroom 'nook' very cute and gives a sweet accent to what might otherwise be just another bathroom. No one really uses medicine cabinets anymore as moisture in a bathroom is not good for anything. Soooo cute 💞 !

Eliza🌹

• Robyn Garner

You need to screw in the drywall, not just set in place with spackle.

You must use cement board in ANY wet area for moisture resistance!

• Diane

Where did you get the vanity? I love the barn door style.

• Pamela

I found it on line at homedesigncenteroutlet.com

I had been searching forever !!!!

To find something that I likes that fit all my requirements

#1 - the look #2 - the size

#3- 6 drawers #4- cabinet in the center , our pipes come up from the floor , not out of the wall , this was a major pain because we had to drill a hole in the bottom ! #5- all wood #6 -rectangular sink . I guess I sound pretty fussy, lol..after months of searching I was lucky that I lived in the same state as their warehouse and got it quickly.

We are very happy with it , it looks nice with our barn style

Shower doors 😊

• Kc Nordquist
    4 hours ago

It makes me feel old to see that a push-button switch for the light is considered "old-fashioned". Sigh.

• Pamela
      2 hours ago

Sorry ! Didn't mean to make you feel that way !!!! I guess I should watch how I phrase things !!! 😊

• Diana
    An hour ago

We had the same "hole in the wall" from where an old medicine cabinet was when we redid our bathroom. I did the same as you and then a couple of years later added a shelf in the middle. That can be removed easily. Not sure which way I like better!

• Pamela
      Just now

I had a shelf for the middle , too... but last minute I decided not to put it in . I saved it and the quarter round trim I was going to use to hold the shelf in place....maybe when I want to change up the look 😊