Kippi
Kippi
  • Milton, FL

Gorgeous DIY Wooden Lanterns

$15

Easy and quick project made from scrap wood. These stunning lanterns will add beauty to your garden and yard during both the day and nighttime. Learn how simple these are to make using my step by step tutorial.

gorgeous diy wooden lanterns

After my sweet hubby built these beautiful garden trellises  that I designed I felt like something was missing, but what? Then it hits me they needed something that added depth to them and why not add his famous wooden lanterns? These wooden lanterns had to be different from any we had made before since they are hung outside and a candle would not work. They needed light from solar power.

Pretty shadows from solar light
Pretty shadows from solar light

Solar Wooden Lanterns

After making the decision to make some solar wooden lanterns I was on a mission to find the perfect solar light. I searched multiple stores but could find one I love, then I found this one and fell in love with the glass globe and then that evening I was dazzled by the shadow it casts.

Scrap wood for lantern
Scrap wood for lantern

How to build the wooden lanterns

Gather you supplies

• Drill (with drill bits)
  • Wood (I used pieces leftover from the trellis) pressure treated 3/4" wood, 1 by 6 deck-board
  • Screws 1.5" trim screws 10 per lantern
  • Eye hook 1"
  • Solar light
  • Pencil
  • Measuring tape
  • Miter Saw
  • Cuts (deck board cut 2 pieces at 5" by 5", 3/4" wood cut 4 pieces at 1" by 8" and one piece cut at 3.5" by 3.5")
  • How to build th e trellis 

Marking the cut lines
Marking the cut lines

Marking the cut lines for the sides of the lantern.

Top and bottom of lantern cut lines
Top and bottom of lantern cut lines

Mark cut lines for top and bottom of lantern.

Making my cuts with a miter saw
Making my cuts with a miter saw

Using my miter saw I make all the cuts.

gorgeous diy wooden lanterns

Mark the placement for the sides on both top and bottom pieces.

gorgeous diy wooden lanterns

Predrill where you are going to add screws both top and bottom. Note, you can see my pencil marks for the placement of the side. Drill inside those marks.

Measuring the diameter of the solar globe

I pulled the solar globe off its spike and measured it so I could drill a hole to slide it into.

Drill bit the correct size
Drill bit the correct size

This drill bit will be the right size.

Adding the solar globe
Adding the solar globe

Its a perfect fit.

Adding an eye-hook to hang.
Adding an eye-hook to hang.

I decided to use an eye-hook that my hubby had in his workshop for hanging this lantern.

Finished lantern installed
Finished lantern installed

It looks stunning! See the full story and all the photos HERE.

Nighttime view of trellis with solar lanterns

Nighttime view is better than I could have imagined. This trellis and the lanterns have elevated my garden view and value.

Kippi

• Deborah LaBate

Could you add the directions to the most beautiful trellis, I've ever saw. This would be a perfect privacy fence for my not so nice neighbors. Also,is there a solid piece of wood between the slats of the trellis? Absolutely Awesome,and the lanterns are definitely the perfect finishing touch.💙

• Heje
    15 hours ago

The lanterns were originally attached with hooks and now with ropes. I love the ropes. How hard were they to tie? I like the idea that more were added. Wonderful project with the lanterns and the fence.

• Kippi
      14 hours ago

Heje, the lanterns are on two different trellises. The first ones I made I used a rope since I did not have any eye-hooks, but they cannot be removed without cutting the rope. I frayed the rope and stapled it on to the lanterns. Thank you so much for stopping by.

Have a great day,

Kippi

• Jacque
    11 hours ago

I agree with the previous responder. How in the heck did you make those beautiful trellis'. The are the most magnificent trellis' I have ever seen?

• Kippi
      7 hours ago

Thank you so much!!! I designed them and my husband did most of the heavy stuff, but it was easy and totally worth it. Neighbors stop to comment on them. Trellis envy!

• Darla
    8 hours ago

Gorgeous I wish I was allowed to have a divider between my place and neighbor for these. And your right, the lamps are the finishing touch.

• Monique
    31 minutes ago

Just what those trellisses needed!!