DIY Wooden Lanterns

$15

This was an easy and quick project made from scrap wood. These stunning lanterns will add beauty to your garden and yard during both the day and nighttime. Learn how simple these are to make using my step by step tutorial. See the how-to video HERE.🌞

After my sweet hubby built these beautiful garden trellises that I designed I felt like something was missing, but what? Then it hits me they needed something that added depth to them and why not add his famous wooden lanterns? These wooden lanterns had to be different from any we had made before since they are hung outside and a candle would not work. They needed light from solar power.

Pretty shadows from solar light

Solar Wooden Lanterns

After making the decision to make some solar wooden lanterns I was on a mission to find the perfect solar light. I searched multiple stores but could find one I love, then I found this one and fell in love with the glass globe, and then that evening I was dazzled by the shadow it casts.

Scrap wood for lantern

How to build the wooden lanterns

Gather you supplies

• Drill (with drill bits)
  • Wood (I used pieces leftover from the trellis) pressure treated 3/4" wood, one by six deck-board
  • Screws 1.5" trim screws 10 per lantern
  • Eye hook 1"
  • Solar light (this is the one I used) 🌞
  • Pencil
  • Measuring tape
  • Miter Saw
  • Cuts (deck board cut two pieces at 5" by 5", 3/4" woodcut four pieces at 1" by 8" and one-piece cut at 3.5" by 3.5")
  • How to build the trellis 

Marking the cut lines

Marking the cut lines for the sides of the lantern.

Top and bottom of lantern cut lines

Mark cut lines for top and bottom of lantern.

Making my cuts with a miter saw

Using my miter saw I make all the cuts.

Mark the placement for the sides on both top and bottom pieces.

Predrill where you are going to add screws both top and bottom. Note, you can see my pencil marks for the placement of the side. Drill inside those marks.

Measuring the diameter of the solar globe

I pulled the solar globe off its spike and measured it so I could drill a hole to slide it into.

Drill bit the correct size

This drill bit will be the right size.

Adding the solar globe

Its a perfect fit.

Adding an eye-hook to hang.

I decided to use an eye-hook that my hubby had in his workshop for hanging this lantern.

Finished lantern installed

It looks stunning! See the whole story and all the photos on the blog.

Nighttime view of trellis with solar lanterns

Nighttime view is better than I could have imagined. This trellis and the lanterns have elevated my garden view and value.

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Kippi | Kippi At Home