West Elm Inspired Headboard

60K Views
Looking for a great week-end project to spruce up your bedroom? Our West Elm inspired window headboard plans may help!
I loved the look of West Elm's headboard but was having trouble coughing up the almost $400 to buy it. I asked my husband if we could build it. He mistakenly said "sure."
6 hours and ~$60 later we had our headboard. The plans and cut list for the headboard can be found at our blog.
Time: 2 DaysCost: $60Difficulty: Medium
  • west elm inspired headboard, bedroom ideas, home decor
Gather your supplies and cut your lumber. (Supplies and cuts can be found at http://decorandthedog.net/decorandthedog/2011/01/headboard-how-to.html)
Lay out lumber in shape of the headboard as a dry fit. Put the good sides of the lumber (the sides you want to show) face down. Mark the back sides so you know which side to drill the pocket hole into:
Drill pocket holes using jig.
Screw headboard together. This is where math and a right angle are handy. I, obviously, was not involved in this step. I was doing useful things...like lamp shopping.
Sand. We used our Rockwell Sonicrafter Sander.
Prime. We used FastPrime2. It was in our basement. It works. I applied it with a brush and a mini-roller. It took FOREVER because there are A LOT of corners. It won't look pretty after the prime...don't get discouraged.
Attach to bed frame with bolts.

Suggested materials for this project:

Michelle S

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!