IKEA Rast Farmhouse Nightstand

$80
1 Day

IKEA is known for its affordable home furnishings. Their Rast 3 drawer chest is a popular solid pine dresser that can easily be tweaked to fit any decor style. We purchased 2 chests & turned them into Farmhouse style nightstands for the master bedroom.

The Rast 3 drawer chest comes ready to assemble. It took about 15 minutes to put together and is a solid piece of furniture. It can be left as is and finished with stain or paint, but we wanted more of a farmhouse style so we added a few things to give it a more finished look.

Material List:

• IKEA Rast 3 drawer chest

• 1- 1x4x8 1/4" underlayment cut into 1.5" strips for drawer trim

• 1- Edge glued pine board

• 11/16" cove trim for under nightstand top (9 feet will cover 2 stands)

• Pneumatic nail gun & nails

• Saw

• Drill & screws

• Router & bits

• Primer, paint, paint brush & roller

• DAP crown molding sealant

• Elmer's Probond wood filler

We started by adding 1/4" thick underlayment (plywood) to the drawer fronts using a pneumatic nail gun. First, cut the horizontal pieces to the exact width of the drawer. Nail them on before moving on to the vertical pieces. This way you can custom cut each vertical piece to make sure you have a precise fit.

To beef up the bottom of the nightstand and give it a more custom look we added a 1×4 board as the base board around the front and sides.

Note- We did not add base trim to the back side of the stand so we could push it closer to the wall.

We routered the top edge of the base boards with a 45° chamfer bit.

This is a progress photo of the stand with the base and drawer trim on.

For the top we used an edge glued pine board from Menards. We wanted a thicker look for the top so that is why we chose this type of board. Smaller sizes are available but I have another DIY project I will use the extra on.

We cut the nightstand top to have a flush back and a 1 inch overhang on the front and the sides.

Note- We did not attach the top to the stand until after the pieces had been primed and painted.

The nightstand is ready for nail holes and cracks to be filled. We used DAP Crown molding trim sealant (caulk) to fill the crack between the base trim and the body of the stand and Elmer's Probond wood filler to fill the nail holes and plywood trim seams.

After the caulk & wood filler had dried, it was sanded and primed with Zinsser primer (We love this primer). Then it was painted with a satin white paint.

Once the stand and top were completely dry we attached the top from the underside of the stand using 4- 1.5" screws.

To finish the piece we used 11/16" cove trim under the top board.

We attached it with the nail gun and filled the nail holes and seams with filler. Then it was sanded and the paint was touched up.

Note- The nightstand top and cove trim was primed and painted prior to attaching it to the stand.

Here it is...our finished Farmhouse style IKEA Rast Hack!

To keep with the Rustic Farmhouse vibe, we decided to purchase different knobs. These painted cast iron knobs were purchased on Amazon.

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_staci.marie_

• Msrami

How to remove marker from pladtic

• Msrami

How to remove sharpie marker from plastic

• CJ

Hi Msrami!

Granny Beth is correct, rubbing alcohol is very good at removing "permanent" marker and is safe for many, many surfaces. Find a hidden spot to test if you are unsure of a surface.

Thanks Granny Beth, I've never tried to use it to remove dates from zipper bags!

I've used it on many other plastics, my formic counter top, fabrics and once I removed some writing from the front of an old photo album with the slick coated paper surface (with thanks to my Mom for the helpful hint!)

If you have the individually wrapped alcohol pads, they work well for smaller areas. For large areas, I recommed using a cotton cloth and wet but don't saturate, with alcohol from the bottle. Regular 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, from the pharmacy/first aide section is perfect.

• Ilene

I love what you did with the IKEA piece and a fair amount of labor. I know we DIY'ers pride ouselves on DIY. My question is, do you think, at the bottom line, you spent as mcuh as it would have cost to purchase a similar piece? I needed bedroom furniture. Looked at IKEA. The local "Go To" furniture store for my area was having a sale. By the time I would have purchased, had IKEA deliver, and paid Task Rabbit to put the items together (I can't do either by myself), I ended up spending less at the furniture store, which included delivery and set up. Just ask'n. Thank you. Stay healthy & safe.