How can I help my cucumber vine?

RymeaBetsyKmdreamer
+1

I have a cucumber vine planted in a pot and it has yielded about 20 cucumbers so far and it was beautiful and lush. We had to be away for 3 days and a neighbor took care of the watering as I instructed but when we got home it was almost completely wilted; had brown leaves throughout and the 2 small cucumbers still on the vine had a hole in them with one having white ball like spots coming out of the hole. I cannot seem to find out what happened. Since returning I have been giving it more water because it has been very hot and while it seems to be improving it's still not what it was. Any advice on what might have happened and what can be done? TIA

• It sounds like it wasn't watered. Since it seems to be improving, I would keep doing what you're doing. If it doesn't continue to improve, I might trim it back.

• Kmdreamer

Miracle grow

Hi Ticia: Hmmmm, thinking the neighbour didn't water your plants. Here is a site about cucumbers that you might find interesting:

https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf319276.tip.html

Here's a fact that seems strange but works:) Cucumbers often have a bitter taste. You can get rid of this bitterness by thinly slicing off both ends and rubbing one piece against the cucumber. ... Rubbing that sliced end against the cucumber will release a white, foamy substance, which contains an organic compound called cucurbitacin. You rub the cut off slice against the cut end that you took it off of, and then repeat with the other end. Keep rubbing in a circular fashion until it stops foaming. Who knew????

Good luck

• Rymea

It actually could be bacterial wilt. Search "Cucumber wilt".