What is the best way to wallpaper this wall (pic attached)?

+5

Help - never wallpapered. I'm experienced with other remodel projects. I want to wallpaper a bath for a new AirBnB but wondering pros & cons for each method. Thanks for any tips. Looking to get this done in the next two weeks - its July 5th. These are pictures before I scrapped smooth & primed.

q wallpaper peel stick or paste
q wallpaper peel stick or paste
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jul 05, 2019

DON'T use peel and stick for a bathroom. The humidity will make it curl up and you will have a big mess. I suggest using regular wallpaper and wall paper paste. Use the paste even if the paper is pre-pasted since it will need more "sticking power" for the steam/humidity of the bathroom.

• Gk Gk on Jul 05, 2019

Here are some tips on how to wallpaper. You want to make sure you prep your walls before installing wallpaper. I prime and then paint with a semigloss or satin finish paint before I wallpaper. I also use wallpaper sizer after my paint dries. It will make it much easier to remove the wallpaper down the road when you want a change. I know it's a bit more work initially but you will be thankful later when removing the wallpaper later.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/walls/how-to-wallpaper

• Rjack Rjack on Jul 05, 2019

Very helpful.

I'll post some current photos. Primed thus far.

Still looking for paper design.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Jul 05, 2019

Rjack....I would use prepasted but haven't papered in years.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jul 05, 2019

Looks as though you've torn the finish off your drywall and it's now showing the brown paper inside? If so, you need to repair all of that before putting any type of finish on the wall or over the wall because moisture will get to the inside and bring you mold!

Given the condition of all the walls, once you've sealed the drywall to be waterproof (I have no idea how you'll do this now with all the damage) you might consider covering it with beadboard sheets or similar. You will need to bring forward all the electrical units.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 05, 2019

Hi Rjack: IMHO (Boy, I'm getting so cool in my old age! In case you don't know what this means, it means In My Humble Opinion. Now, you're cool too!) I'd go with the wallpaper. It's easier to put up and move around once it's on the wall and still wet so you can get the seams and pattern straight and, it's easier to remove. The peel and stick, once you stick it, it's stuck! And, when you remove it, it can take off a layer of your wallboard with it. And, being mostly slick surfaced, it's easier to clean, but I'd go with the wallpaper. If you are going to put a border up, here is a very cool tool to help with that, and goodness knows we need help with putting borders up! Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hy6xfmBCtw

Good luck

Looks like you've damaged the surface of the drywall and exposed the inside paper. You must repair/replace this with a solid surface prior to doing anything as you've created a perfect environment for mold. Once repaired, I'd put beadboard over the whole mess.

• Rjack Rjack on Jul 07, 2019

All answers have been helpful. Thank you.

Here are pictures after we sanded rough paper, filled in bad spots with drywall mud, painted 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Wall & Wood Primer, & lightly sanded again.

I think the walls are ready for wallpaper. Based on comments on going to use Vinyl wallpaper (not removable).

Now to narrow my choice. I'm looking for a western / cowboy (would like a vintage style) bc this is a short term rental in an area of lots of visitors for horse & other livestock related events.

I found Spoonflower as a great choice. And of course there's always amazon, HD, Lowes.

Still looking but hope to get something ordered this week.