Upcycled Armoire Cabinet – DIY Farmhouse Cabinet Freebie!

$25

The Hubs and I have been upcycling furniture for over 6 years now. Everyone in our small rural community knows that we love to save junk. It is a good thing, because I have tons of eyes that scout for me. It’s not unusual for me to get a call or text to tell me there is a piece of furniture on the curb or even on the side of the road! The Hubs surprised me one day with this cabinet. And best of all, it was FREE!

Before

A coworker no longer needed it and asked if we could do something with it. Ummmm YES! One of the doors had a major ding and could not be repaired, so we just removed the doors.

Doors Removed

As it sat in my shop, I pondered over it for days, trying to envision what direction to take. I knew it had to be painted. The orange wood was so outdated and so ORANGE.

Supply List:

- Chop Saw

- 220 Grit Sandpaper

- DeWalt Sander

- Sherwin Williams Latex Paint in Savvy Green

- Polycrylic

- Paintbrush

- Brad Nailer

- Minwax English Chestnut

- Wood Strips (cut from scrap wood)

After invading my paint stash (because I was too darn lazy to go to the store), I found this beautiful green by Sherwin Williams I had leftover. I had already made up my mind that I was not painting it white, I wanted color. The color was called “Savvy Green”, a light airy green. Normally, I do use chalk paint, but I did not have any colors in stock that I wanted to use. You do not have to use chalk paint on furniture, if latex paint is more available, go for it! The colors are ENDLESS!

As you all probably know by now, I am a fan of the farmhouse look. I knew I wanted to add wood to this piece. I decided to remove the old, ugly back and use thin wood strips to give it a planked look. The Hubs had scrap wood left over that would be perfect (you can use any wood that you have on hand). He cut the strips to size for me using his chop saw. He sanded the pieces until smooth using 220 grit sandpaper. I then applied Minwax Stain in the color English Chestnut.

Stained Wood

He also built two wood shelving pieces to go inside the cabinet using plywood and cutting it down to size. (Eeeek, I forgot to take a picture ughhh!)

I put the strips aside to dry overnight and started prepping my cabinet. I gave the cabinet a good cleaning, inside and out, with my vinegar and water solution, making sure to allow the cabinet to dry for an hour.

I gave the cabinet one coat of the Savvy Green, allowing it to dry overnight. I painted the inside as well as the two shelving pieces the Hubs constructed. The next day, I applied a second coat and allowed it to dry overnight.

Now this is my favorite part. Distressing. I just love the way it makes a piece look worn. I used 220 grit sandpaper and went to town. There is not a wrong or right. I distressed heavily around the edges and drawer edges where normal wear and tear would occur. I also distressed on the sides of the cabinet as well.

The next day, I applied one coat of Polycrylic to the entire piece and the shelving pieces. I also gave the wood strips one coat. After allowing it to dry for a day, we inserted the shelving pieces using the same clips that came with the cabinet.

Distressing

The final step was to attach the wood strips to the back using my brad nailer.

I found the pretty knobs for the drawers at Hobby Lobby. They really compliment the wood back. The pulls were brass pulls that I had in my stash. I painted two coats of the Savvy Green and then applied a coat of Polycrylic.

Hardware

This piece sold the very day I advertised it. Such a beauty now!

Visit me over on the blog for more great projects!

Christina

xxoooo

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Christina Faye Repurposed

• Diane Bradley

You in Kansas? Looks exactly like one my daughter gave away. Now I loved it exactly as it was. But it was too big for me to put anywhere. Sigh. I’m glad it was lived and it looks nice now too.

• on Apr 18, 2020

Hi! I have my mom's massive bedroom suite that is late 70's ugly with mirrored accents. I would love to do something like this with it. Thoughts?

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

Hi, gorgeous work I must say, may I ask how much you sell items like this for? I have several personal pieces I would love to do before I sell , just not sure on pricing. I have looked at other people’s pricing in my area, but seems a little unrealistic to me. Just curious if you wouldn’t mind, I’m a few states northwest of you in ARkansas

thanks for the inspiration!

• Barbara D

Well, it does take time and money to do these things, I have a friend who makes quilts. People keep telling her that her prices are outrageous. But you need to look at the time and the cost of these things. People have offered her $20.00 for a king size quilt that took her about a week to make.