How do I clean white haze from and maintain an antique sideboard?

SharonClaireLynn Sorrell
+2

• Johnavallance82

Hi Claire, Sounds as if this item has been in cold storage area and had been polished with a wax polish. My suggestion is to wash it all down with soapy water and dry it off. Then and only then use a soft cloth to buff it up.

• Claire

I’ve had it in my living room for a couple of years. Used Murphy’s oil soap and Old English. Will try just buffing it out. Thanks!

• Lynn Sorrell

built up wax makes it cloudy need to use ammonia and water possibly fine steel wool(gently) to remove it all will need to do it several times to get it all off need to use a good dry oil to maintain after it has been cleared of wax built up oil soap dirt stuck to wax; tung,boiled linseed,walnut,hemp seed are all good oils walnut will darken considerably

• Claire

Thanks so much!

• Sharon

Is it a heat spot from someone putting a hot item on a waxed top? you can lay down a cloth and use a dry iron to iron it away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5AjjkTDAPQ&t=9s