Christine
Christine
  • San Diego, CA

How can I clean water spots off of granite?

Debbie KLindaSimple Decorating Tips
+2

• Kelli L. Milligan

Try a little baking soda and water, rub with finger.

Marble, granite, and stone do NOT like having acidic (ie: citrus-based) cleaners used on them. Citrus or vinegar will actually cause “etching” on granite countertops. Not a good thing. Granite countertops also don’t like it when you use something like Windex on them because it strips the “seal” off of the stone.

If you are trying to remove an old stain, create a dense paste of more baking soda and less water. Then place the paste over the stain, allowing it to function for a few minutes. After that wipe off the baking soda paste. If it is needed you can repeat the procedure until the stain vanishes.

Apparently there are some very nice countertop/granite cleaners out there that do a great job…but $7.00 for a 12-ounce bottle? YOU can do better than that! :-)

After researching several homemade options out there…I discovered they all had the same basic ingredients…just in varying amounts. Some had a LOT of alcohol in them…some very little. I think the following “recipe” has a good balance of the ingredients, based on the information I read.

Homemade Granite Cleaner, 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol (or cheap vodka), 3 drops of Dawn or other dish soap (Castile soap would also be a good alternative if you prefer), Water, 5-10 drops essential oil (optional – to help mask the alcohol smell).

Put the rubbing alcohol or vodka into a 16 oz spray bottle. Add the dish soap, essential oil and fill up the rest of the bottle with water.

Now give it a few shakes….THEN give it a try! It should give your countertops a nice, clean shine. Works on appliances too! All at a FRACTION of the price of the store-bought stuff.

• Simple Decorating Tips

I wash my granite counters, then go right back with a clean towel and dry them... otherwise water stains do show up.

• Linda

Here's a great post on removing hard water from granite.

• Debbie K

Hi Christine, you can try this

To remove water spots, wash the stain with a gentle detergent and water; use a soft bristled brush to scrub lightly. Rinse with clean water and dry. For slightly more stubborn stains, make a paste of baking soda and water, or talc with a diluted solution of ammonia, bleach or hydrogen peroxide.