Bread Bowl to Fountain

$26

I inherited this ironstone bowl from my grandmother. She used it for lots of things, but mainly for raising bread dough. At first I thought to just plant something in it, but then I spotted a gadget on Amazon that seemed just the thing.

As you can see, this bowl has seen lots of use. Although it has a few scars, it is still leak free.

I needed a base and decided on this pot. Luckily it was on sale at my local grocery store.

For my tabletop, I used on old microwave turntable. I found it at the local thrift store for $1.

I wanted to be able to remove the table top for storage, but wanted it to be secured to the pot for safety, so I used 4 pieces of museum wax. Its very sticky, but removable. Sorry, I don't have a picture of this step.

This is the cool gadget I found on Amazon. Its a solar powered water fountain. All I had to do is fill the bowl with water and float the pump in it. No wiring- the sun does the rest.

Here it is all together. A nice decorative touch on the deck. The pump is free floating so it moves around the bowl.

One more view.

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July

• Shirley

Does the solar fountain work on a cloudy day, or when the sun is covered with light cloud? I had one that worked only when the sun was totally exposed, it would turn off and on with even a slight streak of cloud passing over. I live in Kansas, and even though our state song says the skies are not cloudy all day, we do have beautiful white clouds in our azure skies, and they tend to move around, over and under the sun.

• Mary McDonald

I have one and it works when it gets cloudy although not as high of a shoot of water. I use a big old pasta bowl in my 4’ raised garden. I love it! You can anchor it but it does move around on a windy day and then the fountain shoots the water over the side. The first time I came upon the empty bowl I thought, “what bird drank all that water??” Now I just fill it up whenever it needs it. There’s a little wiry filter underneath that you can pop out and rinse. As long as the motor is submerged it should work. It’s worth dealing with the wind though. They’re just adorable.