Bread Bowl to Fountain

$26

I inherited this ironstone bowl from my grandmother. She used it for lots of things, but mainly for raising bread dough. At first I thought to just plant something in it, but then I spotted a gadget on Amazon that seemed just the thing.

As you can see, this bowl has seen lots of use. Although it has a few scars, it is still leak free.

I needed a base and decided on this pot. Luckily it was on sale at my local grocery store.

For my tabletop, I used on old microwave turntable. I found it at the local thrift store for $1.

I wanted to be able to remove the table top for storage, but wanted it to be secured to the pot for safety, so I used 4 pieces of museum wax. Its very sticky, but removable. Sorry, I don't have a picture of this step.

This is the cool gadget I found on Amazon. Its a solar powered water fountain. All I had to do is fill the bowl with water and float the pump in it. No wiring- the sun does the rest.

Here it is all together. A nice decorative touch on the deck. The pump is free floating so it moves around the bowl.

One more view.

• Shirley

Does the solar fountain work on a cloudy day, or when the sun is covered with light cloud? I had one that worked only when the sun was totally exposed, it would turn off and on with even a slight streak of cloud passing over. I live in Kansas, and even though our state song says the skies are not cloudy all day, we do have beautiful white clouds in our azure skies, and they tend to move around, over and under the sun.