Paint the Layered Look on Wood Furniture With Chalk Paint

$50
1 Day

Love that layered paint look, and want to try it with Chalk paint? The technique is slightly different but still gives a gorgeous layered paint look. It’s so easy to achieve, but it’s one of those finishes that looks really complicated.

Here’s the original buffet. It’s solid wood heavy but sturdy and just ready for a little refresh.

After cleaning the buffet well, I painted it with one coat of Peacock Chalk Paint. It looked a bit streaky, and some of the wood was still showing through. That is good. It helps add dimension to the layers! 

When dry, I misted the piece with water. Just so there was an even layer of mist. I then added Palmetto. The water helps the paint move around on the chalk paint, so you can get an even layer of paint. 

Once that is dry, I misted the piece again and added In the Navy. Add each color as heavy or as light as you like. Start with the brightest color and tone it down/darker with each layer. 

How To Distress Naturally

Great thing about chalk paint is that you can re-activate it and use this to your advantage in the first 24 hours. When adding layers, the paint is re-activated which allows it to wet distress very naturally.  You can use your brush or a paper towel. Either way is super easy and natural looking.

Buff after piece is dry

Hemp Oil is like magic in a bottle. It’s a great solution any time you have old, dry wood and need to polish it up. I chose to leave these legs the natural wood tone. I cleaned the legs first, then took an old t shirt and applied the hemp oil.  

If you like tutorials be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel to see even more.

Love the finished look!

Want more ideas and inspiration? Follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture

New to painting? Get my FREE Furniture 101 ebook here.

Jenni Ingram

• Jill Grieco

Love how you did that with the water. Can you do that with 'regular' paint too and would I get a similar finish?

• Jewellmartin

You could also use Unicorn SPiT paint/stain/finish. This paint is made to blend and flow. Water activates the colors because Unicorn SPiT and chalk paint are both water-based. You may discover color blends you never knew existed. Best wishes, Jewell!

• Carol

I am new to this... do you have to sand the furniture?