Statement Panelling on a Wall Using Adhesive

$80
1 Day

We created an open plan kitchen and dining room area and still wanted to pull the two spaces together so I decided to make a statement wall which would match the kitchen island. The dining room wall is not huge and I wanted it to stand out a bit, panelling seemed like the best solution!

before photo of the blank wall. If you want so see how we created this space, see the kitchen renovation post.

Most importantly you have to get the measurements right. Our wall was 247cm high and 299cm wide so I decided to go with 5×4 number of squares. I went with strips that were 8cm wide. See the post for precise calculations.

We cut the mdf board in strips of the same size (8cm wide)

I created the frame on the wall and glue the top and outside panels using grab adhesive.

Once your framework is done, measure and glue the vertical strips.

Make sure all lines are level and square when adding the small strips

Fill any gaps and sand before priming and painting the wall. I used atape to have a nice neat line.

I used Farrow & Ball Modern Emulsion in Railings (I used a primer for the mdf board before using emulsion)

From Evija with Love

• Beaner

Why would you not nail it rather than glue? Just curious.

• Lisa Fauerbach

I’m in love 😍 you did a beautiful job!!

• Virginia

Where did you get the head planter?

• From Evija with Love

Hi Virginia, I am in the uk and got it from TK Maxx which I believe is TJ Maxx in the USA ! Might be worth checking it ! His name is George 😂😆

• Kate

Looks like Z Gallerie, Uncommon Goods, or Dot and Bo

• Kate

Or Home Goods store in US

• Kelly J. Tinney

Just google “ head planter.”

• Karen

Would you do this to a wall if you wanted to hang pictures, as well as leaving it open?

I love the look!

• Tom

I agree, this is a great look! You could hang pictures within the squares, Your size of the squares will be slightly different size based on your overall wall you're doing.

• Leslie

What if the wall is textured?

• Veronica

I would think you would remove the texture where the boards would meet the wall by scraping it off with a flat handled scraper. I would leave the textured areas in between the squares. It would look good painted like the wood. You can touch up the textured areas in between the grid by purchasing texture at a home improvement store. If you wanted no texture you would be scraping, sanding, and drywall mudding quite a bit as prep before moving forward with the project.

• Sonia Q

Very nice I love it...why use glue vs a staple gun? Is it easier using glue? Once again I love it!!!!

• Veronica

I would think because staples can pull out where the glue will stay put. You can possibly use glue and staples but the staples will leave indentations in the wood.

• Linda Sikut

She used glue because the wall is stone.

• From Evija with Love

Thank you, yes Sonia, our wall is solid stone so nails weren't an option really.. You can use either or both.. don't think really there is a right or wrong. Maybe worth thinking in case you wanted to remove it in a while.

• Hartgirl

This is both an affordable and stunning project, a big win in my book! Excellent job and such a nice and elegant way to tie the two spaces together.

i have one question though...when you say you used Farrow & Ball emulsion on the primered mdf😬what is that? Is that the paint color? Sorry! That word emulsion is throwing me, lol, is it something else needed for the mdf or am I overthinking this??

Thank you in advance both for your answer and inspiration!

• R Walter

https://www.farrow-ball.com/en-us/our-finishes/estate-emulsion will tell you about emulsion paint and the mdf should be primed with an enamel primer since it tends to swell with water based applications. When primed with a bonding enamel you can then use a water based top coat or another enamel.

• Veronica

Emulsion means a mixture of something.

• From Evija with Love

Thank you so much. In the UK the company is called Farrow & Ball and I got their paint for (1) walls - called Modern Emulsion - I think in us it would be latex paint with a slight sheen, which is more durable and (2) Modern Eggshell for woodwork. The name of the colour is Railings and Emulsion is simply the finish. EG you can pick for various finishes (satin, gloss, matt and also depends which surface you are using it for). I was going to use two different finishes in the same colour, but the contacted Farrow & Ball customer care to see if I could use the Modern Emulsion on both to have the same finish (does this make sense?). They advised I could use the Modern Emulsion finish on the mdf provided that I primed it with their primer (which I did). If you read up on their page it explains all finishes there! Thank you again

• HFredda

Hartgirl:

If you google, there is information that will answer your question.

• PattyGee

Different but looks like a garage door???

• Pof31292627

I agree.

• Carolyn

That was my first thought too.

• Carol Jackson

My thought was it looks like a high end wall application. Step out of the box and be enlightened.

• Cheryl

Agree! Still looks great!

• ROSE

I thought this section was to ask a question about the project

not degrade it. I think it looks great

• From Evija with Love

Good looking door I hope! Thank you, I appreciate the comment.. not everyone will like it I guess but it works for us! :)

• Rick

For some unknown reason, there are always some who don’t like a project or disagree with its execution AND feel compelled to let the world know. I was raised that if you don’t have anything good or constructive to say, then don’t say anything at all.

• Elana Gerson

Love it!! My one question- why not paint BEFORE you hang the strips- and for that matter, paint the wood strips before hanging them, too? Seems as if that would be so much easier. Perfect project- simple, cheap & so many different design possibilities! (I think it looked good even before you hung the horizontal slats.)

• NatureLuvr

I've painted a lot in my 60 yrs. I think the it would be much harder to paint first before attaching to wall! You would have to touch up the painted strips & fill holes after attaching to wall anyway, so I'm curious why it would be easier? Plus, some people don't have a place to lay out & paint a bunch of wood strips, then keep them out of the way of kids & pets, etc. I personally would much prefer to paint them in place on the wall. To each their own I guess

• Doras

what thickness is the mdf, and how wide did you cut the strips? Gorgeous!!

• Ginny

• Jewellmartin

Msg starts at 1/4” thick and stops at about 1” thick. Thicker mdf is more difficult to cut or strip. You could make the strips any width you choose, but I would go with even numbers like 2” or 4”, to make the math a little easier, but that’s a personal choice. Jewell

• From Evija with Love

There’s more details on the blog the mdf was 12mm which I found to be the perfect thickness and the strips are 8cm

• Geo27502124

I like it!!!!!

• Lollie

I love it!! Could you come to my home?

• 19698379

I like it, but it looks a little empty. Do you plan to add some art or photographs to the wall?

• From Evija with Love

Thank you! the dining room table will be going kind of in the middle of the room and I will add some more planters but not planning on covering the wall, I will have artwork on the opposite side. The kithen & dining room are now one open space so the wall will compliment the island colour and all the woodwork..

• Kathy

I like it but it does look a little like a garage door.

• Lynn

Well, you know what they say about opinions!

• Jamie Boyce

Though I think it is a great idea, I liked it better about halfway through, with just the vertical strips. Turned out well though and it does make a statement.

• Liz Weiss

Actually what do they say about opinions?

• Linda Hornig

The greenery is the perfect complement to your wall, providing texture and color. I

So pleasing and soothing to look at.

• Sandy Ribeiro

I love it! So much depth and simply lovely! Great job!

• Robin

Thanks for sharing how to do this. The look seems really popular and fresh but I had no idea how to get it. Much appreciated.

• Sandra

I think it’s beautiful. We have lots of artwork in several rooms, but to have a room with this type decor seems to me to be a room to relax in. Not so much going on, yet there is texture and an architectural design to make the room interesting. Again, it’s beautiful.

• Pamela Wood

what a beautiful idea. it looks great.

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

Believe it or not, my question is about your plants. I love the look of the wall, though! My house doesn't have big enough windows to let in a lot of direct natural light, so getting houseplants to thrive, let alone survive, has always been a problem. Yours look like they're doing beautifully with indirect sunlight, which my house does have.

Would you please tell me which plants these are? I can hardly wait to get these into my home. Thanks so much!

• From Evija with Love

i have a spider plant which is hanging, then fig tree it does need lots of light but indirect, then I think it’s called rubber plant , monstera leaf (also easy to care for) and not sure of the tree/shrub looking one ! Thank you

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

Thanks so much, both of you!

• Kitty Rogers

BI

• Erica Smith

I have the same problem! Not enough light to keep plants thriving. Glad you asked her! Everything looks beautiful!

• Cindi Crossen

Where did you get the "head" planter, I love ir!!!

• Cheryl Pierson

PLEASE Google low light plants for indoors! You'll be amazed at the number & variety.. Always growing plants since 6yrs old there's really too many to list as they're always coming out with new ones.. Good luck.. I am blessed with my grandma's green thumb.. luv my green thumb & grow everything EVERYWHERE

• Susan Lake

yes the one hanging and the one in the head planter ..are spider plants..the one in the middle w shines green leaves is called a split leaf philodendron

And the dark green leaf one to the right is in the rubber tree family...

Google low light plants...

You'll find alot..like Pothos ,

& Snake plant it grows straight up and tall for height !

Home Depot ,Lowes,Walmart have a wonderful selection right now...you might catch a great plant for a low price..I just bought a small Dracaena Marginata ( Dragon Tree plant ) looks like a palm tree. but likes medium light. At Walmart for $1.75 Omg.....I rescued it,as I do all my plants...house plants are wonderful for the air quality in ur home...good luck !

• Ladiek Sam

I use an artificial light that I brought from Walmart.

• From Evija with Love

@cindi - the head plant is from TK Maxx (in the UK), I believe it is TJ Maxx in the USA.. His name is George!! :)

• Deana Calvert

Where did you get the light? Love it!

• From Evija with Love

Hi Deana thank you the light fixture is from made.com called Tangle

• Jessica Castellon

I just checked the website but unfortunately they don’t deliver to the USA, they are a British website.. hopefully I can find that pendant light in one of our US based websites.

• Molly

Have you tried Amazon? Thru have everything...lol

• Evelyn Alegria Philips

My son has one similar to that and they got theirs either at HomeDepot or Lowes.

• From Evija with Love

If you search using google photo option I am sure something similar will come up!

• Donna M. Boshaw

Beautiful!

• Cathy

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets. What do I need to know? How do I search your archives? I only have my phone ( no working computer)

• Terry

Download Pinterest and you can find everything you need to know about painting cabinets! Good luck!

• Dee Rice

I have painted my kitchen cabinets before in a house we used to live in. I can tell you for a fact that if they get bumped or scratched the paint comes off, allowing the wood underneath to show. Then they look ugly. I’ll never paint on wood, anywhere or for anything, again. I didn’t enjoy mine at all!

• Donna-Jean Eggers D'Angelo

Cathy: Depending on the look yoU want for the kitchen. you could make the bangs and scratches work in your favor. My cabinets are over 60 years old and were built by my father in law. Coated in layers of paint. I decided to let the years show through. I painted the insides a color that popped instead.

• Pamela K

Priming and sealing is the answer to this.

• Dianna

Clean them good, sand, prime and paint with a small sponge like roller. It won’t leave the lines a brush will. Clean hinges with noxon. It cost $8. I tried to replace them with new ones. but I couldn't get them to fit right. I just did mine white. I changed the counter tops and handles to bridged nickle. It's a lot of work Take your time!!! Good luck.

• Earl

you should use oil based paints they will last longer and more durable and use a white foam roller and use a good bruch not a 3 or 4 dollar one and you will need a gallon of thinner for the paint and clean up ,I am a painter with 43 yrs experience.

• Denise

Clean good and lightly sand. Use a good primer and then paint with Benjamin Moore Advance. It is specific for cabinets and furniture. It cleans with water but dries rock hard and has the durability of oil based. I painted mine over three years ago and they still look great with no chips or dings. I used satin finish and I love it!

• Kathy Gibbons Henthorne

Valspar Bonding Primer and Valspar cabinet enamel paint. Sand to get shine off. One coat primer. Then paint. I had to go 2 coats. I used small roller (not a sponge but regular for doors. Look great. No brush marks.

• From Evija with Love

Yes - agree with the answers above PREP is everything! I am using Zinsser BIN Primer as my cabinets are laminate and the paint I will be using Farrow & Ball Eggshell needs a good base to stick to. Also make sure you wash it all using sugarsoap or something similar to get rid of all the grease. Do your research before you commit to painting and honestly, prep pre prep, don't cut corners with that if you want a good long lasting finish!

• Lis

Prepping the cabinets is key.

we used a product called TSP, Home Depot or Lowes sells, that took off any grease or grime. (I keep a very clean home and still used it).

we took the cabinet doors off and worked on them in the garage. Sanded them and the rest of the cabinets hanging. Also sanded between coats of paint.

we painted our birch wood cabinets white, we have 4 kids, it was over 4 years ago, and they still look great, no issues at all. They look original w the house.

its a very big job, but worth it in the end.

• Charlotte

Beautiful!!!

• Teresa

What a statement wall, love it. Is your black trim thru your entire home? And what color of black is that ?( pleasing black color) 😀

• From Evija with Love

Thank you Teresa, the panel wall is only in the dining room. The colour is Railings by Farrow & Ball. It is deep grey with blue undertones not entirely black. It will match our island (we are currently renovating our kitchen/dining room) and all woodwork and doors will be the same colour too. The hallway has a dado rail and woodwoork and 1/2 of the wall to the dao rail will be this colour to match + 10 doors that I still need to paint!

• Cindi Ardt

Just beautiful!!

• Patty

Turned out really nice. Where did you get the head planter?

• From Evija with Love

Thank you the head planter is from TK Maxx in the UK (I think it is called TJ max in the usa)

• Connie T.

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

• Rose Broadway

I have a wall that I want to create just like you have. This is beautiful, such a difference it made!