Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Dresser Refresh

$100

If you follow me, you know I am an avid furniture flipper. This piece was purchased to go in our grandsons room. There is a matching nightstand (that will be it’s own post later) that will get the same type of update. This little guys room has a bed I flipped awhile back. It is a lovely shade of yellow! This bad boy is a LARGE dresser, sporting 12 drawers!! So here we go....

dresser refresh

Here is the picture from the facebook ad I saw. There are three drawers hiding behind those doors. While picking it up, I discovered they had the matching nightstand for sale also! Of course we purchased it as well.

dresser refresh

Sanding, sanding, sanding....orbital sander for the large surfaces (start with a lower grit (120) and finish with a higher grit (220 or higher). Wanted to do some staining on those doors...hand sanding was needed. Also wanted to stain on front of dresser to keep those cute accent dots visible. That required sanding the front all the way down to bare wood.

dresser refresh

After wiping away all the dust from sanding...STAIN time. This is a custom blend of stain. Using a base of classic gray with some ebony mixed in to darken it up. I have learned to MEASURE when mixing in case I need to duplicate the stain. 😂

dresser refresh

Oh yes, lovely!! Nothing like a pretty new stain finish.

dresser refresh

Inside picture, stain looks a bit darker now! Poly needed to be done INSIDE due to humidity being high. Always keep that in mind when working on a project. Temperature and humidity can have a HUGE impact on proper application and drying times.

dresser refresh

Since there was some additional staining done on this piece, base coat was faster to brush on (otherwise a ton of taping and paper would have been needed). *sigh* spray painting is so much easier. 🤷‍♀️ Since this is going to need to match the bed, I will be doing some distressing, and the bed has a black base coat.

dresser refresh

Between coats, a light sanding with a 320 grit will help eliminate any brush marks and give you the smoothest finish! Usually 2 coats of chalk paint is plenty, but this yellow will take more. 😑 FOUR coats of yellow.

dresser refresh

Sanding between coats...this is three coats, and will need one more! Not sure if it is the brand of paint or just the color going over black...I would have used a different paint, BUT this is to match an existing bed.

dresser refresh

Applying coat two on the three “hidden” drawers. See what I mean about needing extra coats?

dresser refresh

Oh man, look how awesome these doors are looking with the stain/paint combo!

dresser refresh

TEDIOUS....using a small, angled art brush, painting around the edges of the drawers. All nine of them. 😳 did I mention it is taking FOUR coats of the yellow.

dresser refresh

Oh yes, looking good! I have given up wax and poly is my sealer choice (or Dixie Belle Gator Hide).

dresser refresh

The humidity was low enough to poly these bad boys outside. This is after a light distressing!

dresser refresh

The hardware needed a fresh look as well! Rustoleum spray paint to the rescue! Used a satin nickel finish, remember light coats to prevent running.

dresser refresh

Look at this beauty now! Need new knobs for the doors (the matching nightstand has a broken one), but other than that. DONE. You can even see the corner post of the matching bed frame. ☺️

To see more: //www.facebook.com/nettesemporium

• Robyn Garner

After having to do 4 coats of the yellow, would you (next time) use varnish to seal the black first? And/or paint it with a white primer?

• Lynnette Soltwedel

No, not sure if you read in the post that I painted it black so when I distressed the yellow the black would show. I knew going into it what I was doing and what it would take, as this was done to match a bed I had previously done. Also, the black wasn’t “bleeding” causing more coats of yellow. Just took that many coats to get the coverage I was looking for.

• Hope

Hi Lynnette...

Great workmanship! The work you put into sanding the piece really shows in the finished piece. I love the stained wood parts!

The yellow however, kind of makes my eye twitch a bit. Were it me (which it isn't  ), I probably would use a different paint color or maybe make the dresser top and bottom trim stained wood instead of painted.

• Lynnette Soltwedel

Thank you 😊 I really believe in solid prep work. Sorry you don’t care for the yellow. It looks so good in his room.

• Jessie

Fabulous !!