Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

How to Make an Easy DIY Farmhouse Sign

$25

Here you will find an easy DIY farmhouse sign tutorial. This shiplap sign looks great for holiday decor or everyday home decor.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

To begin, start with a canvas frame. I found an old one at Goodwill but you can buy a new one.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Next, remove any staples and hooks with a screwdriver and pliers. I used a tool with a pointed end. It really helped to get under the staples to pull them out.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Now measure the width and length of the frame. After you have the measurements you will need to determine how many boards to cut based off of the height.

I needed five boards to fill up the frame. They will hang over on the top and bottom about a 1/4″ but that is okay.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Your next step is simple. Measure the boards based off of the width. My frame is 36″ side so each board was cut at 36 inches.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

You can use a miter saw like mine or you can cut it with a hand saw. Another option is to have your hardware store cut the boards to the desired length.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Now it is time to sand the boards down. I decided to do some light sanding which meant that each board was not perfectly smooth. But you can determine how smooth you want your boards.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Next place each board on the frame snugging them up to each other. Once I had all the boards on the frame and shifted them a little until they hung over equally on the top and bottom.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Now simple nail the boards into the frame with finishing nails. The easiest way is to use a nail gun but if you do not have a nail gun you can use finishing nails and a hammer. Sink the nails down a little into the wood.

Make sure the nails are going into the frame behind the wood.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Follow the last step by spackling the holes. I use my finger to do this step. Once I have rubbed the spackle into the hole then I wipe off the surface to remove any excess spackle.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

We are getting to the fun part. Next, start painting the shiplap with Fusion mineral paint. I used the color Champness because I wanted a chambray look. A great place to get Fusion paint is at Baker-Nest.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Take some white Fusion paint and pour a little into a cup. Then with your wet blue paintbrush mix it together. This will soften the white color for a little dry brushing.

If you'd like to know more about Fusion paint or find out about popular Fusion paint colors, check out the post I wrote about them .

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Next, lay out a dry paper towel and dab off any excess paint from the paint brush. You want the paint brush to a dry state. Now you are ready to start painting again.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Simply brush strokes of paint lightly onto the shiplap. Be sporadic and brush it on here and there.

Once the paint is dry take the sandpaper and start rubbing down the corners, edges and across the middle here and there. Be as random as possible.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Next, place the wood lettering on the shiplap sign wherever you fancy. I like the idea of an off-centered design. So my letters were placed at the bottom right.

I nailed the liberty lettering down but you may want to change out your lettering with the holiday.

If you want to change out your lettering consider a removable tape. Make sure it is strong enough to hold your letters.

how to make an easy diy farmhouse sign

Here's the finished product hung nicely over my fireplace mantel. This piece was past of my patriotic decorations. If you'd like to see that post and how I decorated other areas of my house click .

Linda

• Mary

I must have missed something...What size are the boards you cut?

• Dka27519972

She said she used 5 boards which was based on the height of the frame she chose. It seems like she just wanted it to look like shiplap, so she wanted several boards and not just 2 or 3. Just take your height and divide by 5 or 6 and have the boards cut. It looked like she used 1x4's. If you wanted a bigger sign, just make sure you get a bigger frame. Hope this helps.

• Julie

Hi Linda, I'm wondering about Champness. In one of the pictures, it looks stormy gray blue but hanging on the wall, it looks more like what I associate with chambray, eg, a more faded blue. Checked the fusion website through your link and the background is also stormy but the pics show furniture painted that look like the faded blue.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to paint my kitchen cabinets and like the idea that Fusion has a topcoat built into the paint. Problem for me is that there are no retailers in my area so I will have to order online and do not want to wate money on a color I won't like.

Thanks!

• Val

I found that Champness color on Amazon. It is a lovely shade of blue.

• Val

Very pretty, great thinking outside the box to use the frames from the canvas.