How to Paint a Thrift Store Jewelry Cabinet

$20
1 Day

This is my latest thrift store jewelry cabinet makeover. I spent about $7 on this old cutie. It was in good shape... just needed some cleaning and a little paint.

If you like to paint jewelry cabinets, too, make sure you sign up for my thrift store makeover email list!

Step One: clean the jewelry box or cabinet.

Step Two: remove hardware -- If the handles are screwed in, I’ll remove them. Since these weren’t, I left them in. This one had a fake metal rim around the front "windows" . I just removed them.

Step Three: paint jewelry cabinet -- Chalk type paints are super easy to use. I just painted on two coats, letting it dry completely between coats.

Step FOUR: glaze -- Once the second coat was completely dry, I mixed some of the black paint with my glazing medium, painted it over, and wiped it off before it dried. No varnish or top coat is needed after this.

Step Five: add metal to doors -- I removed the old glass out of the doors and replaced it with a piece of decorative metal that I cut to fit with tin snips. Then I just glued it in with my E6000. I also put together a list of other products you could use to replace the glass in THIS ARTICLE.

The inside was in good condition so I just had to wipe it out with a damp cloth.

So, what do you think now? Would you try a makeover like this? Leave a comment and let me know... and don't forget to scroll down for the link to the original project with all the specific supplies and tools I used for this project.

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

• Teri

Where do you find the decorative metal inserts that are thin enough to be cut with tin snips?

• Teri

Where did you find the decorative metal? I can’t find any that could be cut with tin snips

• Seedpath

As an alternative, did you consider just replacing the glass by mounting 2 rectangular sheets of about 1/4 " thick plexiglass plastic? Might be a much simpler repair using just a drill and a few screws with similar original look.

Seedpath