How to Paint a Thrift Store Jewelry Cabinet

$20
1 Day

This is my latest thrift store jewelry cabinet makeover. I spent about $7 on this old cutie. It was in good shape... just needed some cleaning and a little paint.

If you like to paint jewelry cabinets, too, make sure you sign up for my thrift store makeover email list!

Step One: clean the jewelry box or cabinet.

Step Two: remove hardware -- If the handles are screwed in, I’ll remove them. Since these weren’t, I left them in. This one had a fake metal rim around the front "windows" . I just removed them.

Step Three: paint jewelry cabinet -- Chalk type paints are super easy to use. I just painted on two coats, letting it dry completely between coats.

Step FOUR: glaze -- Once the second coat was completely dry, I mixed some of the black paint with my glazing medium, painted it over, and wiped it off before it dried. No varnish or top coat is needed after this.

Step Five: add metal to doors -- I removed the old glass out of the doors and replaced it with a piece of decorative metal that I cut to fit with tin snips. Then I just glued it in with my E6000. I also put together a list of other products you could use to replace the glass in THIS ARTICLE.

The inside was in good condition so I just had to wipe it out with a damp cloth.

So, what do you think now? Would you try a makeover like this? Leave a comment and let me know... and don't forget to scroll down for the link to the original project with all the specific supplies and tools I used for this project.

Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim

• Jan

Is chalk paint durable enough for kitchen cabinets?

• Teri

Where do you find the decorative metal inserts that are thin enough to be cut with tin snips?

• Teri

Where did you find the decorative metal? I can’t find any that could be cut with tin snips