No Sew Patchwork Curtains

$10

Have any of you seen the patchwork curtains from Urban Outfitters? I loved them and when they weren't available anymore, I knew I'd have to make my own. I have been collecting sheets from thrift stores and finally decided to take the plunge and cut them up... and it was the best decision because I love my curtains. They turned out better than I imagined they would and were so easy to make!

no sew patchwork curtains
no sew patchwork curtains

First you'll want to figure out the measurements for your curtains. Once you know the size, start cutting out squares for the curtains. I made my squares a bit large, but you can make them smaller if you prefer that look. You don't have to use sheets... you can use your favorite fabric and this is a great way to use your fabric scraps.

no sew patchwork curtains

Lay the squares on a flat surface to create your curtain panel. I used 4 rows of 8.

no sew patchwork curtains

I bought two types of fabric glue for this project. I started with Aleene's Super Fabric Adhesive and Aleene's Fabric Fusion. They are both strong and worked equally as well, but the Fabric Fusion is much easier to use.

no sew patchwork curtains

The Fabric Fusion is easier to use because the glue comes out nicely and the bottle is easy to squeeze.

no sew patchwork curtains

I started by gluing the squares in the rows together first. I added glue to the bottom of the top square, then overlapped with the square below. Continue all the way down.

no sew patchwork curtains

Press the squares together, but don't spread because you don't want the fabric to stretch out.

no sew patchwork curtains

After all the rows are glued, you'll want to glue the rows to each other.

no sew patchwork curtains

You'll glue these together the same way, but going from left to right.

no sew patchwork curtains

Let the glue dry completely. The bottles say it typically takes 2-4 hours, but mine felt completely dry after about an hour. I still let my curtain sit for a couple hours, just to be safe.

no sew patchwork curtains

I also randomly added pieces of ribbon to my curtains for a little something "extra".

no sew patchwork curtains

Flip the curtains over, fold the edges back on the sides and bottom and glue down. This gives the curtains a nice finished look.

no sew patchwork curtains

Fold the top down and glue, making sure there's enough room for the curtain rod.

no sew patchwork curtains

When the curtains are completely dry, it's time to hang!

no sew patchwork curtains

I love how these turned out... They are so pretty and look amazing when the sunlight shines through them. The fabric glue is washable, so you'll be able to throw your curtains in the washer when needed.

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Frances

Would this method work also as the cloth outside shower curtain, using grommets instead of a pocket. Would it withstand the moisture?

• Lisa House

I used cafe rings and a flat sheet that I trimmed with burlap ribbon...no issues at all

• Christine White

Can they be washed in a washing machine with the glue

• Candace Jerome

When you glue them do you fold each square up a little or do you just over lap the two pieces of material?