How to Build a Garden Box

$50

Building a garden box is so simple and inexpensive. Be sure to check out the original blog post for this DIY: https://thepapermama.com/2012/08/how-to-build-a-garden-box/

My garden is bursting at the seams with tomatoes, spinach, radishes, carrots… and more! It’s wonderful to walk outside my door and grab the veggies for dinner! My fave plant so far: radishes. I used to think they were pretty lame… until we realized we could eat the greens too! They grow really fast. Super easy to grow.

We built two of these 4 by 4 boxes back in 2012 and they are still holding up. So, I thought I should share how I did this! No need to pay someone to do it for you. It’s easy.

Supplies needed:

• Rot-resistant wood (cedar is perfect): (8 pieces) 2x6 x 4'4
  • galvanized corner brackets
  • 24 exterior wood screws
  • Boiled linseed oil
  • Gloves and an old rag
  • Electric screwdriver
  • Level
  • Shovel
  • Dirt

1. Position 2 boards side by side. Screw in the corner bracket and repeat this with all the remaining pieces of wood, until you’ve created a square.

2. Now, it's time to apply some boiled linseed oil. It’s not a necessity, but I’ve read it can extend the life of your garden box. Using an old rag and wearing gloves, rub a layer of oil all over the wood in the box. Let it dry overnight. Side note: linseed oil can be flammable. Please be sure to read the directions carefully.

3. It’s time to put your box in the garden! We chose a spot in full sun. First, we had to dig a hole to level it out, which also helped to make the box sturdier. If you don’t plan on digging a hole to install, I suggest hammering some wooden stakes next to the box to make it stronger.

Add some dirt and add plants! Enjoy your garden.

The Paper Mama

• Em

Curious- why did you build so low when the rabbits and ground hogs can still help themselves to the buffet you planted? It looks cute but what purpose did you have in mind for not just planting in the ground?

• Fatu Wesley

Thanks!

• Fran

Check the oil you buy carefully. The “boiled linseed oil” you can buy in most stores is actually mostly raw linseed oil, but with plasticizers, hardeners, and heavy metals added which can be toxic.