How can I repair wood trim ruined by cat urine?

Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!EliseTom G
+6

Hello all. My cat peed (ugh) on the carpet and I sprayed it with cleanser and now the wood trim is all puffy. I have a fan on it as we speak but I am wondering if anything else can be done?

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Sarah Catherine!

A bit of sanding may help once it is dry... make sure to use small strips on any detail (curves, carvings, etc.) then apply a fresh coat of paint. Otherwise, if it is something that is truly noticeable, the piece may have to be replaced! I have cats and I totally understand... I hope this helps!

• Donna Key

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Have a wonderful day!

• Cynthia H

Sadly our cat did the same thing. I ended up removing the trim. Scrubbing it and letting it dry flat in the sun, then sealing it and repainting got rid of the smell. That will give you the chance to clean the edge thoroughly, too, where it covers the edge of the carpet.

• Tom G

Get rid of the cat.

• Elise

After you fix it, get a spray bottle with water & every time the cat does something you do not like spray her. After a while she will not do it or if you make a sound like psh psh your prob should be solved. It worked for me for keeping cat off furniture & when a guest picked cat up to sit on their lap on couch cat jumped off. Great training tool& non toxic.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

If it swelled my guess is that the trim is made from MDF or medium density fiberboard. I had something similar happen to a table top that swelled when a watered houseplant got into the particle board under the veneer.

If it's still bumpy once it's fully dry you can try using a very sharp box knife and gently shaving down the areas that are still bumpy. I'd then coat it with some primer first followed by the trim color.

We've done a lot of diy in our house and I'm sure once it's painted no one will really notice it. If our visitors have noticed some oopsies that are still on the baseboard trim in our entryway they've never mentioned them to us