DIY Brick Tile Backsplash

$350

Hi buddies! I’m sharing my favorite project of all time today - my brick backsplash! 😆 I had dreamed of a brick backsplash for a while and then one day I was scrolling through types of tile at the store and learned of these thin brick tiles by Old Mill Thin Brick Systems! They are real bricks sliced to 1/2” thickness and come in a variety of colors. I was super geeked!!

Here's what you'll need:

• brick tiles
  • adhesive
  • level
  • tile cutter
  • gang box extender
  • grout
  • grout bag
  • plastic scraper
  • sponge
Brick Tiles
Lay Out Your Brick Tiles

I ended up ordering three boxes of the single brick tiles in the color Castle Gate. They come in boxes of 50. I started my install by laying out a few bricks to make sure I split the colors up.

Adhere to the Wall
Adhere to the Wall

For the adhesive, I used my favorite - Loctite Power Grab! This stuff is so good!! They are not fibbing about the instant grab! I went through 3-4 tubes of these throughout the install.

Use Your Finger to Space
Use Your Finger to Space

Okay, so after I applied the adhesive, I literally just stuck the brick to the wall and then moved on to the next one! The beauty of brick is that you don’t even need to measure. I used my index finger as my spacer, so I put each brick one finger space above my countertop and one finger space apart.

Level
Level

After I had a few bricks up, I would go through and make sure they were level. The adhesive grabs right away but is still repositionable for about 15 minutes.

Cut the Tile
Cut the Tile

I used a basic tile cutter, I just made sure to score each brick 4-5 times before cutting, since they are thicker than a standard ceramic tile. It worked great!

Add Box Extenders
Add Box Extenders for Switches and Outlets

Do not omit these and just use longer screws. These are important!

DIY Brick Tile Backsplash

Kitchen

Sneak peak!

Grout
Grout

Let’s talk grout - I used premixed sanded grout because I knew I would be working on this at night after work, so I would be stopping a lot. Premixed grout is the more expensive route, but I didn’t want to mix up new grout every night and have a lot of waste.

Smooth
Smooth

I scooped my premixed grout into my grout bag with a plastic scraper and squeezed it into each space and then smoothed it out with a damp sponge. The grout bag was a little big for me to handle though, so I did end up switching to a quart size plastic bag. Each container of grout also came with a grout sponge.

Brick Grout

The grout does set up pretty quick, so I did make sure to work in small sections. I kept a bowl of water handy and would smooth the grout, clean the sponge, smooth some more, clean sponge, then clean off the brick face. I wanted a german schmear look, but didn't want total coverage, so I chose to grout pretty heavy. You can choose any grout method and color of grout to fit your space and style.

Easy Brick Backsplash

All done!!! Click here to see more of my kitchen!

DIY Brick Backsplash

I did not purchase corner bricks, since I only had one corner. I used the other side of the cut brick from one wall and butted it up tight to the same brick on the other wall. After it’s grouted, you can’t even tell there is a cut!

DIY Kitchen Backsplash

I love cooking and cleaning in this cozy kitchen so much now! 😍

Easy DIY Brick Tile Kitchen Backsplash

To see how I transformed my counter tops, visit my story highlights on my Instagram!

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Susan Antonition
    Susan Antonition

In love with natural brick! This looks awesome and well done. Addressing long term comments there are brick cleaners out there. And yes painting over them or white washing down the road is an option. I wouldn’t worry about years to come....enjoy and be proud of your work NOW!!! Thank you for sharing this idea.

• George Marin
    George Marin

Do those bricks come in an off white

• Eva
    Eva

Do you have to sanded the wall before you install the bricks ?

What about if the paint on the wall is old ?

• Kendra Rochelle Grimes
    Kendra Rochelle Grimes

Yes I will be doing this project d.i.y this weekend no doubt...

• Jan Bosley
    Jan Bosley

WOW!!! Looks fantastic and homey!!

Love it... thank you so much for your awesome idea... never thought to use

Power Grab!!