DIY Brick Tile Backsplash

$350

Hi buddies! I’m sharing my favorite project of all time today - my brick backsplash! 😆 I had dreamed of a brick backsplash for a while and then one day I was scrolling through types of tile at the store and learned of these thin brick tiles by Old Mill Thin Brick Systems! They are real bricks sliced to 1/2” thickness and come in a variety of colors. I was super geeked!!

Here's what you'll need:

• brick tiles
  • adhesive
  • level
  • tile cutter
  • gang box extender
  • grout
  • grout bag
  • plastic scraper
  • sponge

Lay Out Your Brick Tiles

Brick Tiles

I ended up ordering three boxes of the single brick tiles in the color Castle Gate. They come in boxes of 50. I started my install by laying out a few bricks to make sure I split the colors up.

Adhere to the Wall

Adhere to the Wall

For the adhesive, I used my favorite - Loctite Power Grab! This stuff is so good!! They are not fibbing about the instant grab! I went through 3-4 tubes of these throughout the install.

Use Your Finger to Space

Use Your Finger to Space

Okay, so after I applied the adhesive, I literally just stuck the brick to the wall and then moved on to the next one! The beauty of brick is that you don’t even need to measure. I used my index finger as my spacer, so I put each brick one finger space above my countertop and one finger space apart.

Level

Level

After I had a few bricks up, I would go through and make sure they were level. The adhesive grabs right away but is still repositionable for about 15 minutes.

Cut the Tile

Cut the Tile

I used a basic tile cutter, I just made sure to score each brick 4-5 times before cutting, since they are thicker than a standard ceramic tile. It worked great!

Add Box Extenders for Switches and Outlets

Add Box Extenders

Do not omit these and just use longer screws. These are important!

DIY Brick Tile Backsplash

Kitchen

Sneak peak!

Grout

Grout

Let’s talk grout - I used premixed sanded grout because I knew I would be working on this at night after work, so I would be stopping a lot. Premixed grout is the more expensive route, but I didn’t want to mix up new grout every night and have a lot of waste.

Smooth

Smooth

I scooped my premixed grout into my grout bag with a plastic scraper and squeezed it into each space and then smoothed it out with a damp sponge. The grout bag was a little big for me to handle though, so I did end up switching to a quart size plastic bag. Each container of grout also came with a grout sponge.

Brick Grout

The grout does set up pretty quick, so I did make sure to work in small sections. I kept a bowl of water handy and would smooth the grout, clean the sponge, smooth some more, clean sponge, then clean off the brick face. I wanted a german schmear look, but didn't want total coverage, so I chose to grout pretty heavy. You can choose any grout method and color of grout to fit your space and style.

Easy Brick Backsplash

All done!!! Click here to see more of my kitchen!

DIY Brick Backsplash

I did not purchase corner bricks, since I only had one corner. I used the other side of the cut brick from one wall and butted it up tight to the same brick on the other wall. After it’s grouted, you can’t even tell there is a cut!

DIY Kitchen Backsplash

I love cooking and cleaning in this cozy kitchen so much now! 😍

Easy DIY Brick Tile Kitchen Backsplash

To see how I transformed my counter tops, visit my story highlights on my Instagram!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Ginny H

Absolutely beautiful! Great job. I am re-doing my kitchen with my hubby & needed a backsplash idea that was simple enough (as he would say) to finish while he is at work, even though I finished hanging the drywall and shelving in our pantry WHILE HE WAS AT WORK & impressed the heck out of everyone awesome job..it looks great!

• Kendra Rochelle Grimes

Yes I will be doing this project d.i.y this weekend no doubt...