Weed Eat No More

$10

We have a fence for our fur babies that makes mowing and weed eating difficult. We go through way too much line due to our fence, raised beds, patio bricks, and cracks in the sidewalk. Our inspiration for eliminating the lawn fence trim came with the weed killer process we use in the cracks of the pavement.

We mow as close to the fence as possible, but as you can see, the wire fence is rough on our spools of weed eater cord. It eats the cord faster than we can buy it. We do try to aim at the ground, but doing both sides that way is very time consuming. We no longer have to do this now!

Our sprayer costs $8 at Walmart. There are several variations of this recipe, but this is the one that works best for us. It works best on a sunny day. Our recipe for the plant killer: 1 gallon of white vinegar, 2 cups Epsom salts, 1/3 cup Dawn Dish soap. This will not harm your fur babies or family members or children playing in the yard.

Spray the weeds in your sidewalk or driveway after the dew is gone in the morning. By evening they will be dead. Here are the sidewalk crack weeds this morning.

This is the same area this evening.

This is another place in the sidewalk or driveway this morning.

We won't have to cut the weeds in this crack again this summer.

But the best time saver and weed cord saver was along our fence. This is the same area as the first photo. You can see the grass is dead on both sides of the fence. Now we can just mow and be done.

We also sprayed around the outside edge of every planter and the edge of the foundation. We sprayed about 3 or so inches on both sides of the fence. Our community requires us to have no weeds or grass on the fences at all, so this will save us time every week when we mow our lawn.

This is a close up, the dead area really does not show at all and is not ugly when you do this along any fence. It is inexpensive, easy, safe, and allows us to have our morning free every week from our weed eating chores. One treatment per season is usually plenty.

• Donna

This we're going to try. We have the same problem, dogs & I think we should have about a million shares of. stock in weed whacker line invested by now, super expensive, fence eats it up. We have 5 acres, all fenced, about how mu h area would this amount cover? And do you have to soak it in or a good spraying works? Just trying to get an idea on how much supplies of vinegar & stuff I need to buy.

• DesertRose

We used a gallon of vinegar for a medium sized yard/fence and our driveway. We soaked it good with the sprayer is all.

• Shannon Sargeant

I don’t see the recipe

• Susan Hensley Harris

How can I save a project so that I don't have to go through so many to find the project I want to use.

Thanks

• DesertRose

Susan, there is a banner across the bottom of my computer when I view tutorials such as this. I just noticed it, ha. There is a heart and "I want to do this" on the banner. Click on that.

• Darlene

I'll sure give it a shot. I tried this before but used reg table salt. Thanks for the info... Granny D

• Donna

I think that works too, I haven't tried reg. salt, but try it

.

• Susan

This is a vegetation killer, any plant it touches.