Can I make a DIY countertop from high grade vinyl flooring?

SharonJohnavallance82Cher @ Designs By Studio C
+2

I have 18 year old laminate counter tops in my kitchen & can't afford new quartz but wonder if I could buy a piece of vinyl flooring & glue it to the old countertop to make a new useable one.

• Maura Whelan

I think there is paper out there you can use to cover countertops. Also I have seen articles abut painting them...go on line and have a look...

• Mary Butner Cudizio

I agree with looking up online DIY tutorials on painting the countertops.

I seen one, don't remember where, but they used a few kinds of paints and simple techniques to achieve a marbled look.

Good luck! Post pics of your new countertops after.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Syl!

There are a couple of different kits to paint countertops - one creates a stone look (Daich Spreadstone) and the other creates a marbled look (Giani Countertop Paint Kit). I've used each of these products with fabulous results! Another option is using self-adhesive vinyl from DC-FIX (on Amazon) that looks like marble. It is thicker than Contac paper and looks real. I hope this helps!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Syl,

You could do so, but You would need to use a hardwood edge, and in use use a countertop saver for cutting and high use areas.

• Sharon

It will show every knife and other tool mark. Have you thought of getting some 18" squares of granite especially if you can find them on sale.