Asked on Jul 12, 2019

How do I cover up a bad mudding & taping job?



Our basement was just drywalled but the person doing the mudding and taping did a real bad job. They did not sand it smooth so you can see where every drywall sheet is connected..I need help with ideas on how to cover up this mess..This space was done for the use of a home daycare.


Different wall

This is the ceiling

7 answers
  • Randal
    on Jul 12, 2019

    You can do what is called a skim coat. By that it is, just taking the mud and making it sort of soupy, but not too thin, as to where you cant control it, and then just basically covering the whole wall or affected areas. Then skimming it off level as possible with a broad knife, and then sanding it. Or you could put up paneling etc. Hope this helps. Oh you will have to knock off any build up before hand, this will make it easier to do the job.

    • KC Connery
      on Jul 12, 2019

      This does help..Im just not sure I know how to do that..But I will try anything at this point. Thank you for you suggestion.. I completely forgot about panel...that just might save the day....

  • Kelli L. Milligan
    on Jul 12, 2019

    For the cost of paneling, you can pay someone to come in and repair the mess. If want to try skim coating yourself, check out a few you tube videos on tutorials on how to skim coat.

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jul 12, 2019

    Remove the existing, re tape, then mud. When dry, smooth with a damp sponge. Repeat the mud and smooth process for a total of 3 times.

  • Robyn Garner
    on Jul 12, 2019

    First, can you get the person back to repair their work? Are they an actual business? If so and they won't do the repairs, you can take them to small claims court to either get your money back or have them pay for the repairs.

    Now to the problem, sand down all "high" areas that are above the level of the wallboard. If there are cracks, dents, etc. put a skim coat over and again sand smooth. Same with any "low" areas such as what it looks like on the ceiling.

    Once all is level and smooth, put on 1-2 coats of primer and then paint with the wall/ceiling color.

  • Flipturn
    on Jul 14, 2019

    Reply to Robyn's comment:

    Did both you and the person who did the drywalling sign a written contract for the job before any work commenced, or before any money changed hands?

    If not, then you will not be able to file a case in small claims court, simply because there was no contract, and there was no contractual agreement.

    A verbal agreement only is not considered a contract in business law.

  • [re]FɄB19
    on Jul 17, 2019

    I saw you live in Canada, like me. In Quebec, customers are protected by laws, contract or not, but you'll need a bill to claim. We have RBQ (Régie du bâtiment du Québec), if you live in another province, you certainly have the something similar. Call them to see how they could help. Good luck!

Your comment...