What is the best way to store store-bought strawberries?

SherryNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAGk
+4

these are packaged from the store.

• Michelle Meredith-Jennings

I've read that if you rinse berries in a solution of vinegar and water (just a tablespoon or two of vinegar to a large bowl of water), and then lay them out on a towel until dried completely before putting in the fridge, that the vinegar helps to abate fungus growth as they ripen. Also, placing a paper towel underneath them in the bowl helps to absorb moisture that causes over-ripening or mold between the berries.

• Unexpected Elegance

The main thing with berries is keeping the dry. However, strawberries tend to dry out in the fridge. Some people recommend storing them on a dry towel after washing (in a single layer, if possible), with a damp towel placed over the top, and eating them within in a day or two.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I utilize green bags or green boxes by Debbie Meyer to keep them fresh.

• DesertRose

The best way to preserve ANY berry is to put it in a clean large bowl or even the kitchen sink and add 2 or more cups of white vinegar to the water and let them soak for a little while. I usually leave mine a half hour or so. Just let them float in the vinegar water. It prevents the mold from forming on the fruit if you eat them say within the week and keep them refrigerated until that time.

• Gk

I put mine in a rectangular tupperware container with a lid. I place dry paper towels in the bottom and arrange the berries in one layer. Then I dampen some paper towels slightly--wring them out so they are barely damp--and place over the top of the berries. Keep in the fridge. I have had berries last up to a week this way. May not look as pretty at the end but they still taste wonderful!

• And I don't wash until I eat them. But, they don't last more than a day or two at my house. So you might try some of the other solutions for longer term storage. I go out every 2-4 days for fresh fruit or vegetables and always to a couple farmers markets before or after church on Saturdays or Sundays.

• Sherry

Thanks to all of your help. God bless you all.