Barbara German
Barbara German
  • Georgetown, DE

How do I clean mildew from the refrigerator gasket?

Nancy TurnerAlexis @ Chemistry CachetBaxter
+1

The rubber gasket that seals my refrigerator and freezer closed gets moldy along the outside grooves. How do I clean this mold off without harming the gasket? The gasket has grooves in it which makes it even more difficult!

• Zard Pocleeb

Mix 1-quart warm water and 1-tablespoon baking soda. Clean the seal with a toothbrush to get into the grooves then wipe with warm water.

• Baxter

Use hydrogen peroxide or vinegar, which are both safe and which both kill mold. Put full-strength hydrogen peroxide or vinegar in a spray bottle, spray the gasket, then wipe of all the blackening with a clean cloth. Use a toothbrush to reach under the gasket and scrub out all the mold that's growing deep in the grooves. Rinse with clean water and wipe dry. I would leave the door open long enough to let the gasket dry thoroughly. Good luck!

• Nancy Turner

I would go with the hack that Baxter suggested, but I would use straight vinegar myself. It is a really good antibacterial and antifungal agent. Make sure to get it all out of the folds.