RevaBeth
RevaBeth
  • Springville, UT

Good Bye 1960. Shiplap Meets Art Deco -Update Wood Paneled Family Room

$140

I was so tired of the wood paneling even though I had taken good care of it and oiled it over the years. It was the affordable and popular paneling of the sixties. I don't have a single decorator's gene in my body but the look was so dated I hated to enter the room. A simple painting would look like I had painted it and I didn't want that. I did do that in a basement room, and that's a cheap look. I checked into wallpaper but that wasn't going to cut it either. I didn't have the money to remove the panels and sheetrock whatever is under it, or go to that expense. I've been thinking about and fussing about this for several years.

I love the shiplap look but my panels are vertical. Then when I thought about it I decided it would be a great look. I won't kid you, it was a lot of work; but I love the room and the new look. It was not a fast or easy fix but it is one that is beautiful as well as classy. It has lightened up the room. I will chalk paint the antique china hutch and the built-in cabinets soon.

Pride may go before the fall but I love this new room.

Before. So tired of this.
China hutch needing work. All is drab.
Dark and dreary.
Remove and smooth.

This always takes much longer than you want.

Primer ready.

Newspapers on the floor. Knee braces on the old knees.

After a good washing, apply the best primer.

I wanted to wash off all the oil I had put on the wood over the years.

I did not tape the last two walls at first.

By painting some of the stripes carefully, then masking with tape after they were dried, the last two walls were much easier. Also, I didn't need as much tape and I made fewer mistakes.

Make sure the colors join squarely.

Just use a business card to make sure it is square.

First wall. This is going to work.

You only need 5 different grays. I bought 3 and mixed them as I went.

In love.

It is random and some grays cover earlier mistakes. One of the two stripes that look alike were different, but I repainted one with a different gray.

It is a long, long road, I mean room.

A smaller room wouldn't have taken 9 days. I also had to move furniture around because we were still using this room. You can see the difference where new meets old.

• Sandy

Great idea, but I must be missing something. I have used tape techniques for different projects so I am familiar. When was the tape removed? Did you put one tape down, then remove it and put another over the painted area to get the next color applied in a straight line? Just wondering as t doesn't show or tell that for novices.

• RevaBeth
      13 hours ago

On the first walls I taped, painted, pulled off tape later and when paint was dry put the tape over it and painted that section. Really a wasted effort and I had lots of taped areas that didn't get painted.

With the last walls I carefully painted many panels with the same color. As they dried I did some other color, just trying to stay within the groves of the paneling. As things dried I taped on the new paint and painted the new section. I would reuse the tape too.

Since the paneling has the vertical straight lines I only had to worry that when one gray butted into a different one was straight.

Hope that helps.