How to Transform a Hatbox Into Delightful Patio Planter

$8

I saw this rusty old tin Victorian Hat Box hidden underneath a table at a antique brick a brack stall in London for a few pounds and instantly thought it could make perfect planter for the patio garden area on the fence .

Victorian hat box
Victorian hat box

I wiped it over and checked for holes etc and thought about how it could be fixed to the fence.

Wipe clean the surface
Wipe clean the surface

I initially thought to tie string around the rim and hang it as didn’t want to drill holes into the antique piece if I could avoid it.

Wiping clean
Wiping clean

I tried to make a loop fixing with string and wasn’t sure if this would hold the weight.

Tie string around
Tie string around

Upon seeing if it would hold and hang properly unfortunately the weight was too much and it broke. So on next to plan B which was to try hanging it on a sturdy screw on the fence by its tin lid handle. This handle was positioned centrally and the hinge was strong too.

Put in fence Screw
Put in fence Screw

I hung the planter by the lid handle onto the fence screw and it held nice and sturdily .

Hanging the planter on the fence
Hanging the planter on the fence

I decide to add a nice red Geranium plant to contrast with the original teal blue painted inside and think it compliments it beautifully. I'm now on the look out for other vintage tins/boxes to upcycle into planters as they are so original and very adorable!

Victorian Hat box planter
Victorian Hat box planter
Victorian Hat Box Planter
Victorian Hat Box Planter
Victorian Hat Box Planter
Victorian Hat Box Planter

To see more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/handmade/Susan-Goode-Designs

• N. G. Londonderry

Did you add holes to the bottom for drainage? I k ow you said you didn’t want to put holes for a hanger.

• Susan Goode

I didn’t put holes in as Thor plant is in its own pot with drainage then I put that pot into the hat box.

• S

Love this! I love to rework things and you often find stylish, but slightly blemished shades. This is a perfect way to rescue them! Thanks for the idea!

• Jeannette, FL

Beautiful! Such an interesting piece to work with, too.