How do I lighten a panel covered room?

FlipturnMargiebirdsNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+2

Our living room is paneled and my husband loves it. How can I lighten the room without changing the paneling? I hesitate to hang photos because the frames blend into panel.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

We've painted paneling white and love the results. It really brightens the room a lot and doesn't cost must time or money. Be sure to use a good primer or 2 in 1 paint.

• Shuganne

Sorry, frugal family, but for Debbie, wouldn't it be easier to paint the frames?

• So what is on your walls? Nothing? That sounds dreary and depressing. Use colored frames for the art work. Choose any other color than brown. Or paint the paneling, easy enough to do. Decorating should reflect both your personal styles, which, in many instances, requires compromise on both sides. Hubby likes paneling - fine, then you choose everything else. Bright area rug, pillows, throws and accessories. Introduce a bright cheery color that makes you happy.

• Margiebirds

LOL. My dear hubby also “loved” our dark wood paneling. Finally, one day after an nasty basement flood, I decided to paint the paneling to cover the wall damage. I didn’t want to make him angry, but I couldn’t figure out another way to make the walls look or smell better. He had a weekend trip with some buddies to watch races and I took advantage of his absence..

I used a great odor removing base paint, and light color top coat. He was very surprised and pleased with the paint job. He could not remember ever saying that he loved the paneling after that! He told me he thought we would have to remove the paneling and repair the Sheetrock, and was so amazed to see that the paneling looked very nice after it was painted. I think the reason he “ loved” the paneling was that he didn’t want to deal with the amount of work it would take to “fix” the paneling. It may have helped that I created a gallery wall of enlarged, framed photos that he took. His photos looked much nicer in the lighter room than the dark room. He also wanted to have the room dark for watching movies. But the room was dark enough with room-darkening drapes.

• Flipturn

How can you lighten the room without doing anything to the paneling?

Change all the light in the room to LED.

If you presently using incandescent bulbs, then I'm sure you will find that the whole room looks brighter and whiter with LED light.