How to Turn Your Old Shoe Rack Into Garden Plant Display Unit

$7

I was given this old shoe rack and never one to miss an upcycle opportunity I decided to make it into a unit for my tea pot planters on my sunny sheltered outside veranda.

Old wood shoe rack

I am beginning to experiment with Unicorn spit gel & stain as a colourful tie dye effect on the wood.

I choose yellow orange and black.

Unicorn Spit Gel & stain

I begin with wiping down the rack to clean it.

Wiping clean

Spraying with water to prepare surface for Unicorn Spit Stain & Gel

Spray surface with water

I start from bottom shelf upwards using various squirty movements to spread colour onto wood in swirls.

Squirting Unicorn Spit Gel & stain

I cover the paint with another spray of cool water and then place a partly see through sheet/ waste plastic bag over the top of where I have put all the paint.

Covering paint with a plastic bag

I gently spread the paint from centre outwards in stroking manner to cover all the wood from on top of the bag. I keep doing this until I’m happy it’s covered well then I lift the plastic sheet off gently from left to right in a non stop action and then discard.

When the design is revealed and I can see where I need to cover the gaps and tidy up design with more unicorn spit I use a a sponge applicator.

Touch up the gaps with Unicorn Spur Gel & Sta

Repeating the process remembering to spray water over paint before laying plastic sheet over top and spreading the design.

Spray with water

And build up the design with random patches that look like bright swirly tie and dye !

Plastic layer over the paint to spread design

The final part is painting in the gaps and tidying up ready to leave to dry for few hours.

Painting the gaps and edges
Filling in the gaps with unicorn spit

Hey presto the final piece looks so unique and vibrant . 🔥🦄🔥

Unicorn spit & gel stain plant stand
Unicorn spit gel & stain plant stand rack

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

Believe it or not, what caught my eye wasn't the shelf or its coloring, but all the teapot planters! I love this; thanks for sharing!

• Susan Goode

Thanks yes I love to use various containers including chamber pots for planters is so much fun

• Cat

Suggest using latex or.... gloves when painting! Medical gloves are the best. They work for surgeons and me! I wear them under my gardening gloves for extra protection (hands, nails, skin, rings etc.) . I take blood thinners so I need the extra protection!