DIY Thrift Store Find Makeover - Home Decor Without the High Cost

$6

I have been on a thrift store kick lately. Normally my visits would be once a week, but now I find myself going twice, even three times a week! It’s so addicting!

While browsing the isles, I saw this poor soul, one of it's front pieces just hanging where someone had pulled it apart. I decided to take it home, it needed love! It was only $2.99 and it was real wood, not a bad deal.

Wood Mail Sorter Before

I cleaned the mail sorter with a damp cloth. I attached the slot that was hanging with just a small tack nail.

I decided to paint the piece white. The wood color was so beautiful, I knew it would look gorgeous peeking through white paint. I used two coats of Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint. You can buy this paint at Walmart and it is very reasonable.

After it was completely dry, I took my 220-grit sandpaper and gave it a heavy distressing! Especially on the ends and where normal wear and tear may appear.

I used my Cricut and created vinyl for the front of the slots. I was going to use the piece in my kitchen on a small wall, so I chose quotes that would be appropriate for the kitchen.

Isn't she a beauty? Home decor doesn't have to be expensive. Visit your local thrift store and use your imagination! Be sure to also visit my web site at www.christinafayerepurposed.com for other thrift store makeovers!

Christina Faye Repurposed