DIY Kelly Wearstler Lamp

$15

I discovered Kelly Wearstler last year during a DIY challenge and couldn’t shake this Linden Lamp from the back of my mind. I’ve been thinking about that lamp for too long, so I decided to re-purpose a set of lamps that I’ve got kicking around from a previous craft and DIY it. Here is the finished lamp:

Materials for a DIY Kelly Wearstler Lamp

• Lamp + lampshade
  • Americana Chalky Finish Paint in White
  • Paint Brushes
  • Air Dy Clay in white
  • Americana Acrylic Paint in Brilliant Red
  • Hot glue gun

Step 1: Clean the lamp you’re going to paint. I gave mine a good wipe with a wet washcloth, and then dried it off. It was in our garage before, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t painting over dust and dirt.

Step 2: Painting over a gloss is super tricky. You can use the Zinser primers, but for this I tried the Americana Chalky Finish paint because it stuck so well to the plastic chargers I painted in the fall //  here //. It may take a few coats, but you’ll eventually get it all.

Step 3: While the lamp is drying roll the little balls out of the clay. I planned approximately how many I needed and made sure to roll-out some extra while I was at it. It will take a full 24 hrs to dry, so you’ll have to set these and come back to it tomorrow.

Step 4: This next part is pretty easy, you just hot glue the clay balls (once they’re dry) to the lamp in the pattern you’ve chosen. I decided to faithfully recreate the Linden Lamp, so I went for straight vertical rows.

Step 5: As you can see, the bottom coat of white is kind of sloppy, but that’s because I just wanted to get some coverage. The real fun comes when you apply your top coat of colour. I wanted to match the red of the lampshade I had, so I tried out a variety of shades my collection and settled on brilliant red.

Step 6: Wait for the last coat of paint to dry, add the lampshade, and voila! You now have a DIY Kelly Wearstler Lamp that you can enjoy in a variety of settings and styles.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Ariel

• Vee

I have a large cylindrical shaped lamp, I would like to do something with. I wonder if the glue gun attachment will hold-up over time? Also, wouldn't a good spray paint be easier? Pros and cons, anybody?

• Robyn Garner

I am thinking that ping pong balls would be the right size, lighter for attaching with glue and all uniform. You could slice the edge off so the side that gets glued on has more surface area.