DIY Kitchen Island With Stock Cabinets

$250
1 Week

When we bought our first home our kitchen looked like this..

Needless to say that we needed it to be a bit more modern, but also we definitely needed more cabinet space.

We had a Home Depot cabinet consultant come over to give us a quote and it was about $1500 for a few updates and an island

so... hmmmm. No!

We started the process of looking at islands made out of kitchen cabinets and didn’t find much, we got some old cabinets from Facebook marketplace.

We had trouble leveling them so we used a few wooden shims and tried some re-arranging, also used 1inch pieces of wood between the cabinets to make them more separated and give the doors more space.

We taped the floor to mark where it’d go..

Now onto the countertop. We decided to do a cheap birch butcher block from Lowe’s.

I sanded it and stained it with a mix of Aged White and Slate Gray.

Now this is how it turned out after assembling.

We used beadboard paneling to hide the back of the cabinets and my husband did a beautiful job trimming around it to look like one piece.

And finally this is the final result!!!

It’s been over a year and it’s holding up amazing. I have used Waterlox to seal the butcher block which is food grade safe and every once in a while I condition it to keep it in good state.

if you want to more pictures of this project, run over to our Instagram page.

• Jill

Beautiful job! We just stripped our cabinets and painted them to look like aged barn wood and would like to have an island, but I have one question, did you attach the island permanently to the floor? If not, do you have any problems with the island moving? We have wood floors and I don’t want to scratch them, if we don’t attach the island to the floor? Thank you and again, fantastic job!

• Steph

My son bought casters that lock from a hardware box store for his very heavy saw table.

• Susan

How do you use the stove without a exhaust fan above? Don’t your cabinets get ruined by just boiling water

• Sammy Pampani

Hey, I have a range hood now above my stove. Here’s an updated picture of the kitchen.

• Pam Galicki

how many inches does the countertop stick out for leg room?

• Bry

It looks amazing. Great job!

• E

Imma need to borrow your hubby ;)

Very nice & well done!