DIY Kitchen Island With Stock Cabinets

$250
1 Week

When we bought our first home our kitchen looked like this..

Needless to say that we needed it to be a bit more modern, but also we definitely needed more cabinet space.

We had a Home Depot cabinet consultant come over to give us a quote and it was about $1500 for a few updates and an island

so... hmmmm. No!

We started the process of looking at islands made out of kitchen cabinets and didn’t find much, we got some old cabinets from Facebook marketplace.

We had trouble leveling them so we used a few wooden shims and tried some re-arranging, also used 1inch pieces of wood between the cabinets to make them more separated and give the doors more space.

We taped the floor to mark where it’d go..

Now onto the countertop. We decided to do a cheap birch butcher block from Lowe’s.

I sanded it and stained it with a mix of Aged White and Slate Gray.

Now this is how it turned out after assembling.

We used beadboard paneling to hide the back of the cabinets and my husband did a beautiful job trimming around it to look like one piece.

And finally this is the final result!!!

It’s been over a year and it’s holding up amazing. I have used Waterlox to seal the butcher block which is food grade safe and every once in a while I condition it to keep it in good state.

if you want to more pictures of this project, run over to our Instagram page.

Sammy Pampani

• Christie L Kennedy

Funny this shows up! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I PLAN ON DOING. Phenomenal job how high is the cabinets? I want to have a few bar chair for extra dinning when all my grans Visit. I guess if it’s chair hight that’s fine as well. God Bless

• Sammy Pampani

I’ll get you exact measurements but it’s regular cabinet height which I think is 30’ plus the counter which is about 2-3in.

We have bar stools around it.

• April Collier

I am curious if you could tell how much the end project cost? I'm getting ready to redo my kitchen and am trying to do it spending the least amount possible without it looking cheap. This looks great!

• Sammy Pampani

It was around $250 for the whole thing. We also painted the kitchen cabinets with just regular Behr white paint and installed a hood over the stove (not included in cost)

• Sheryll S

How did you attach the top & have it safe with the overhang? I want this instead of a ring room table. Thank you!