How do I get rid of fruit flies?

BushraCynthia HDesertRose
+2

• Linda Sikut

Hi Charlene,

Put some wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in a small cup near your fruit. Stretch a piece of plastic over the top (you can secure it with a rubber band) and poke a few holes in the plastic. The fruit flies will go into the cup and not be able to get out. My local fruit market uses this method to keep their fruits bug free. Wishing you the best.

• Bernice H

Yup I agree..Apple cider vinegar..a drop of detergent as a surfactant..I have not needed plastic wrap,my guys are so greedy they just think about it for a while then go in headlong. I think the drop or two of detergent is the bonus here,because it softens?

thesurface and in they go. You don’t need much..a couple of inches..small glass. The thing is...do wash your fruit because there are probably eggs on the fruit,so if the parents go for a dive..you could have another generation in a few days...

i don’t know why more markets don’t have this near their fruit. Grrrrr😖

• DesertRose

Simple Green kills them. some people put out a dish with vinegar in it and a lid with holes like plastic wrap or something and they go in and cannot get out and die. I find they are still around and multiply again. Put away all fruit in fridge or for bananas I put them under glass like my cake holder. Then spray every drain in the house with Simple Green 6 or 7 squirts each and repeat for a week to ten days. That means every sink, tub, shower, everything. Then once a week repeat because you will get them next time you bring home produce from the market again. I do it once a week as part of my weekly cleaning. I never have them anymore. They live in the drains if there is no fruit out. If you just spray the kitchen sink you will find them in other areas of the house with drains, I did .

• Cynthia H

I put mine in an open bowl near the activity. Remove what is attracting them, and clean your drain also.

• Bushra

Here is good video about it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQsX7g0Scg

Hope it helps! Bushra