How do you remove cat urine odor?

BushraSharonBernice H
+8

My male cat sprayed my box spring and mattress, Ive moved them outside. I want to know if anyone knows of a spray mix to kill the odor.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

OdoBan is a disinfectant that has an odor removing eucalyptus scent.

• Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

You may want to try scrubbing them (with a scrub brush) with a solution that includes white vinegar, then let them dry in the sun. BUT be aware, they may be ruined.

• Donna Key
      Donna Key

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Have a wonderful day!

• Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Oh, and male cats that have been neutered are less likely to spray inside.

• Bernice H
    Bernice H

I have used baking soda in the past. My friend moved into a rental, one bedroom really reeked , we pulled up the carpeting as best we could and sprinkled boxes of baking soda on the floor,and then the pad and then on the carpet itself. And just left it there. I don’t remember how long it took, but it was gone. Then we vacuumed up the carpet but left the baking soda under the carpet.We were amazed.

• Bernice H
    Bernice H

So maybe aspray mix of baking soda and water,considering the surfaces?

• Sharon
    Sharon

No you need a pet enzyme cleaner to get that out, as a caregiver I get cat boo boos a lot. I use my carpet cleaning upholstry tool and put tablet pet enzyme cleaner directly in it so it sucks out the dirty water/urine and deodorizes. Pet Stain and Odor Remover.... the tablets are much stronger cause you mix them as you need them and its far more effective. I get it on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HXWQ3MZ/ref=dp_cerb_2 this will last you a year or more, just mix when needed.

I would get cat to vet and find out why he's spraying, does he have kidney issues with uric acid crystals, is he fixed, or does he have a UTI? sometimes switching them to a diet of food for urinary tract issues helps .... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cat+food+for+urinary+tract+health&i=pets&crid=3OC57YCO6CCTQ&sprefix=cat+food+for+uri%2Cpets%2C247&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16

Chances are if he spraying he is also doing the walls, curtains etc. Get the black light flashlight as cat urine floreces , so turn out the lights and use it to find it all.

• Bonnie Hume
      Bonnie Hume

He is neuterd but I think he started this because he was mad at my daughter for kicking him out of the room.

• Bushra
    Bushra

Hi Bonnie,

Here is a very helpful video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyUHFYaWBA

Hope it helps! Bushra