Asked on Jul 17, 2019

How can I remove mold from my ceilings?

Robyn GarnerRita SiegelHolly Bertone | Pink Fortitude
+11

Answered

We have Mold on Ceiling. Front Lanai

8 answers
  • Juanita
    on Jul 17, 2019

    Clorox

  • I'm not sure what your ceiling is made of, but vinegar should kill the mold. I would use it straight (not watered down) in a spray bottle.

  • Vinegar. Vinegar kills mold spores, bleach does not.


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/mold-myths/


    There is a product called "Wet & Forget" that many people love. I have never used it personally.

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jul 17, 2019

    White cleaning vinegar to clean as Ann & Naomie mentioned. Once you have killed all the spores, you may have stains. That is where a product like Krud Kutter, 30 Seconds, or chlorine bleach would come in handy. I would pressure wash to remove all residue. Once clean, the "Wet & Forget Outdoor" product that Naomie mentioned has an inhibitor in it that should help to keep issues like this away.

  • Robyn Garner
    on Jul 17, 2019

    If this is interior space, PLEASE have the mold tested before you sleep with it or try to remove it. You can turn on the a/c and lower the humidistat to under 50% to remove inside moisture. If the mold is not dangerous, clean it thoroughly with cleaning vinegar (higher acidity than regular white vinegar).

  • Hi Catherine - There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

    https://pinkfortitude.com/mold-in-the-shower/

    PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

  • Rita Siegel
    on Jul 18, 2019

    Looks like the aluminum pan roof of an outdoor porch? I've had mine pressure washed w/o any further ado.

  • Robyn Garner
    on Jul 19, 2019

    AHA! A Lanai! I'd bet the seller sealed up the room w/o having a/c on in there. FL is outrageously humid so that's the issue. Yes, put a dehumidifier in there along with an a/c unit. Both will work to kill off mold spores.


    If the restoration company tries to tell you it's dangerous w/o testing, don't pay! They should test it for "toxic mold" and show you the results.


    If not toxic mold, spray with bleach using a handheld pump sprayer. Do not disturb the mold! Allow the bleach to work to kill it and then return and spray again for safety. Afterward, use a stiff bristle broom to reach the mold and scrub it off. Again spray down the room with bleach (at this point you definitely must use a respirator and open the windows while spraying). Scrub again.


    Repeat until NO mold is seen. Wash everything down with white vinegar and water. Then, be certain you keep the lanai windows all open OR keep the a/c on so this doesn't happen again.

Your comment...