Can you help me with the dimensions for a structural art piece?

IleneCheryl Williamsen
+1

I'm making a structural art piece. I'm going to use the concret lace planter idea for the base by sinking a formed PVC bottom into the concrete. Does anyone know how to determine the diameter of a round base in relation to the height of a light weight, 5 ft. tall, wire & embellishment, structure? I've made similar pieces in the past but they were heavy so I used half of bucket of concrete for base & stability. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

• Cheryl Williamsen

Is your base going to be embedded or anchored to the ground?

• Ilene

The entire piece is free standing. The cement will hold the anchoring PVC "H" I created and will be the base. From that I am building up with PVC to create the structure. Thank you for your willingness to help.

• Cheryl Williamsen

5’ is a lot of “moment arm”, especially outside in the wind.

Without knowing more, I would use a 5 gallon bucket, at least half full of concrete.

I would look into large rectangular plastic planter boxes to align with the H shape, as an alternative.

• Ilene

Thank you. This is an inside piece so I'll use your suggestion as a guide. I'm sort of "known" for my structural art. Don't know why I can't figure this question out. Perhaps I'm not focusing. Off I go to mix concrete!