Jo
Jo
  • Bellevue, WA

How do I fill in the grout between bricks to make a smooth surface?

SonyaCheryl WilliamsenLinda Sikut
+3

• Kelli L. Milligan

Is this for a patio outside or a brick floor inside? You use morter . It can come in tubes like caulk. Just fill in til it full. smooth out with a putty knife or trowel.

• Jo

It’s for the face of a fireplace. I want to fill in the Mortar joints and have a smooth surface.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Jo,

Here is some very detailed information that might help you. The article explains about mortar - the ways to mix it, the preparation and the actual applying of the mortar. It's not a short article, but there is a lot of information there. I hope it helps you. Wishing you the best.

https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/how-to-mix-mortar-using-sand-and-cement-for-pointing

• Cheryl Williamsen

Yes, mortar. It’s a ton of work & messy.

If you want to tile the face of the FP, use a little bit bigger tile and span the mortar joints and then you don’t have to fill them.

• Sonya

If you don’t have a plunger you can put half a cup of baking soda and a add a cup of vinegar to unclog your toilet.