Decorative Clothespin Container

$5

There are lots of clothespin crafts on Pinterest and elsewhere for inspiration! One craft pin I've been meaning to do for quite a while now is making a decorative container using clothespins. It's such an easy way to turn something like recycle cans you're about to toss, into an item that's useful and decorative! And the best part, you can let your imagination run wild deciding how to decorate it!

decorative clothespin container
Let's begin with the container! It's best to have one that's close to the height of the clothespins. I didn't have one so I cut down an empty nut can from my stash. Then I placed a clothespin at the bottom of the can and marked on the can where the top of the clothespin hit. Then wrapped painter's tape around the can at the mark to cut the can down. And don't forget to save the cut-off piece for another project!

decorative clothespin container
Next, twist the clothespins apart to remove the metal springs and begin gluing on the flat sides using a quick grab glue like DAP multi-purpose glue or super glue.

decorative clothespin container

Twenty-one clothespins were twisted apart for this size can, giving it a barrel effect once all the pins were glued on.

decorative clothespin container

I've been holding on to matching ribbon and cording I got on clearance from JoAnn and used them on this project. First, I glued on a piece of ribbon.

decorative clothespin container

And then tied the cording around it where the larger wood indents are!

decorative clothespin container

Next, make a flower out of the ribbon and cording to help decorate the can - by separating the cording strips and cutting into six 3.5" pieces for the petals. Use Fabri-Tac glue to straighten the cords and glue them on the ribbon in a petal shape.

decorative clothespin container

Once dry, cut out the petals.

decorative clothespin container

Arrange petals like a flower and glue sides together towards the center.

decorative clothespin container

Add a bead to center and glue flower on container where cording is tied.

decorative clothespin container

Now, it's such a sweet container to hold your special knick-knacks and what-knots!

decorative clothespin container

Gail@Purple Hues and Me