DIY Shiplap

$250

Shiplap isn’t super easy to install, I think if you watched some YouTube videos on how to do it, it would help. My husband has been doing construction since he was young since his dad was a contractor. The cool thing is you can buy prefabricated Shiplap at Lowes that makes it a lot easier! Just remember to take your time and not rush it!

Before

He measured the wall first and calculated how many pieces of Shiplap he would need! It was kind of a bummer, the wall we were doing it on was 13 feet long and the pieces sold at Lowes were 12 feet long, so that just meant a lot more cutting. After he got all the pieces up, we decided to add trim around the whole wall to give it more of a finished look.

Once my husband finished that, I went by Sherwin Williams and picked put some paint. Before I painted, he had to putty the holes where the nails were. Once the putty was dry, I sanded with a sand block and then vacuumed up the sheet rock dust.

All of this is so important because it will look professionally done and not like someone rushed through it. After that was all done, I began to paint. I think it turned out great!

After

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes

• Pamela
    Pamela

What color paint did you use?

• Judy
    Judy

I like the shiplap on the outside of our house, but this would not be a good idea to do for inside the house if I'm allergic to dust is it? More dust inside on a shiplap wall would mean cleaning it on a daily basis in my case, would it not? Or is there a way of controlling dust? Thanks

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

No need to downplay her allergies - it's miserable to live with on its own. Yes, the texture and gaps in the shiplap would add to being a dust collector. I'm sure you keep things to a minimum so there shouldn't be much. You can use a feather duster to knock it down to vacuum.