How to Make an Easy $3 Wood Canvas Frame

$3

"Ugh $500!!" I gasped.

A neighboring customer glared at me over her thin pink-framed glasses.

My heart sank along with my vision of the beautiful framed watercolor autumn tree-lined sidewalk that would greet me every morning in our new master bathroom remodel.

Can Large Art Be Affordable?

Large canvas art can be affordable and building the wood frame yourself is a big part of that savings. A large framed canvas can set you back $100 - $700+ depending on the store. I paid less than $60 for this 40 x 30 inch framed canvas art.

In this tutorial I will show you how to make a frame for large canvas art.

Here is the before pic without the frame.

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

This easy canvas frame involves two 1 x 2s. You will create a frame that attaches to a cradle. The cradle holds the back of the canvas in place and lines up the edges of the canvas with the front of the frame.  

Align the cradle with the frame. Mark center of the top, bottom and side cradles and the center of the top, bottom and side frames. On the back of the cradle pieces drill pilot holes and drill countersink holes. This is where you will attach the canvas to the cradle. 

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

The reason for the countersink is so the screws will not scratch the wall on the backside of the frame.

Line up center with the corresponding pieces (side frame to side cradle, bottom frame to bottom cradle, etc.) then glue and nail in place.

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

This is what the cradle pieces look like before nailing together. 

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

Sand all four pieces of the frame. Glue and nail together at all four corners using a square to keep 90 degrees.

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

Apply wood filler to fill in any nail holes and cracks. Then I layered a few different stains. I applied Special Walnut and Weathered Gray and then lightly sanded. Then I applied Dark Walnut. To add a rustic look I dry brushed white paint over the stain and lightly sanded. 

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

I finished it off with a matte sealer.

Once the sealer dries attach the hanging hardware.

Insert the canvas into the cradle. Screw the cradle to the back of the canvas frame using 1-inch screws (where the countersink holes are).

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

Hang it on the wall in its new home. 

how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame
how to make an easy 3 wood canvas frame

I love how it turned out and I didn't have to deal with any dirty looks behind pink glasses. 

I love DIYing a home on a budget. Come visit me to see how you can too. Check out 5 Simple Design Secrets to Transform a Room for other tips on a beautiful budget friendly home.

Also I know you will like this DIY Bifold Barn Door that shows you how to update a bifold fold to a barn door look for $15.

Thanks for checking out this post! Let me know if you have any questions.

Tiffany

Tiffany from Dream Design DIY