Build a Plywood Base for a Lamp

$25
1 Day

I had a few scraps of walnut plywood left over from a project. I wanted to make something useful and decorative, and since I needed a new lamp in the living room, I created a lamp base with the scraps!

build a plywood base for a lamp

The base is constructed out of 3/4" plywood, glued together, then stained and sealed. I used a stencil and white paint to create a decorative accent on it, then threaded a lamp pipe through holes drilled in the top and bottom.

build a plywood base for a lamp

I cut 45° bevels on all sides of each piece for the base, then laid them side by side with painter's tape on the outside.

build a plywood base for a lamp

I applied glue in each joint then rolled it up to make a tube secured with the tape until the glue dried.

build a plywood base for a lamp

I cut pieces for the top and the bottom. The top piece has a bevel cut in all four sides so that the plywood looks like one solid unit.

build a plywood base for a lamp

I then added a long lamp pipe with wiring and a socket. The pipe is hidden by a paper-covered tube that fits into a couple of check rings. (See the blog post for the full how-to and links to the resources for the materials!) This project is perfect for any skill level and can be made from any species of plywood!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Virginia Rohde

I built a square box out of pine 35+yrs ago & burned tigers on it for a lamp when my son was young

• Virginia Rohde

I also made book ends with tigers. I cut out & burned the tigers & glued them on. I also made ucorns, kolors, ducks. Still have the tigers & kolors. Ducks got broken & don't know what happened to the other one. Still do wood burning once on awhile.