How to Make a Simple Bee Water Station for Your Garden

$5

Support the bees in your garden while adding a pop of colour, with our DIY bee water station.

All living things need water, and bees are no exception. As well as drinking it themselves, bees also gather water to take back to their hives and nests. Here, the bees use water to dilute honey, regulate humidity, feed larvae and cool the hive. And just as they communicate about the best places to gather nectar and pollen, returning bees also tell the others where to find water.

I know that not everyone is comfortable around bees and other flying insects. You may even feel reluctant to provide a bee water station in your garden. If you do, consider this. Bees are vitally important for the pollination of plants – it’s why plants produce nectar in the first place, to entice pollinators. Providing a safe, regular source of water for the bees in your garden in an area that suits both you and them should actually help prevent them from trying to gather it from other places, such as the kids paddling pool.

All you need to make a simple water station in your garden for bees and other insects is a shallow container and some stones, marbles or twigs for them to land on.

What we used to make our DIY bee water station

• Terracotta Pot and Saucer

• Glass Marbles

• Bostik Power Repair Glue

• Non-Toxic Spray Paint

If you plan to paint your pot and saucer, it is easiest to do so before they are stuck together. We sprayed ours a gorgeous blue to help it stand out to our bees. Before leaving them to dry overnight.

We have kids and pets running around our garden, so anything we put in it needs to be well made. The power repair glue has the strength to hold the two parts of our bee waterer together whatever gets thrown at it. (Which in our case is likely to be a football!).

And here is our completed bee water station. We love its cheerful pop of colour in our Lavender bed and hope that the bees love it too.

If you have enjoyed this tutorial, why not check out some of our other wildlife friendly garden crafts. You can find 2 of our favourites below.

Wildflower Seed Bombs. Make wildflower seed bombs using flour, seed compost and native wildflower seeds. Perfect for brightening up an unloved corner of your neighbourhood.

Cute Window Bird Feeder. Our DIY window bird feeder is made from an old cake pan and allows us to watch our lovely wild birds eat their breakfast while we eat ours. It is a fantastic way to see birds close up while still keeping them safe from predators.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Craft Invaders

• Lynette Summerill

I love this idea. Great job. My only question is how to keep the mosquitoes from using it as a nursery? I live in an area where dengue fever is present. Any ideas other than dumping the water daily?

• Craft Invaders

I read that mosquito eggs float Lynette, so when I fill it I let the water overflow to wash out anything that might be lurking in there :)

• Patricia Ritzel

Are the marbles glued down?

• Jane

Doesn’t the paint leach into the water and potentially be a problem for the Bees? I personally would only use glass - then you can paint it underneath and still have the color while protecting the Bees.

• Lynda

My suggestion: paint all surfaces except for the bowl area. Leave as it is and place the marbles and water there. Make sure the bowl is cleaned daily. 🙂🐝🙂