How To Make An Easy Tiered Succulent Planter

$10

The idea for this tiered succulent planter came to me while I was making our cute concrete planters shaped like cupcakes. It’s simple to make using a cake stand rod set, and plastic pot saucers sprayed to look like stone. Eventually, I think I’ll end up with a full afternoon tea display made from colourful succulents.

What you need to make our tiered succulent planters

Cake Stand Rods (Amazon)

Plastic Plant Pot Saucers, each one a different size

Stone effect spray paint

Enamel effect Spray paint

I used cheap plastic saucers for my tiered planter as they are both easy to get hold of, and drill. The cake stand rods are designed to take the weight of ceramic plates so there is no reason that you couldn’t use terracotta saucers if you wanted to.

How to make our easy tiered succulent planters

Drill a hole in the centre of each plastic saucer the same size as the thread of the rods.

Check everything fits together before you spray each component. I used slightly bigger washers than the ones that came with the cake stand rods to give the plastic saucers a little more support.

I sprayed the metal cake stand fittings in black enamel paint, and the plastic saucers in a fantastic, textured stone effect paint.

Once dry, I reassembled my tiered saucers. I can think of lots of different ways you could use this project around the home. It would be brilliant to use as a base for a floral arrangement or even to hold sweets and favours at a party. This one was always destined to become a tiered succulent planter, so I set about planting it up.

How I planted my tiered planter with succulents

Although I didn’t want to add too much weight to my tiered planter, I decided to add a little gravel to the base of each saucer as I know succulents love to sit on gravel. You can read more about planting succulents and what they like in my creating garden art with colourful succulents post over on my blog.

I then filled each saucer with succulent compost.

Most of the succulents I used to fill my tiered planter came from my adorable succulent hedgehog which has become a bit of a donor to other projects this year. He really is proof that succulents will thrive in just about any situation.

This tiered succulent planter will live outside along with the rest of my succulent creations and should soon fill out as the succulents grow and propagate.

Craft Invaders