DIY Decoupaged Map Silver Tray Table

$2

I love putting thrifted pieces together to create something completely unique, and this project is a combo of a heavy silver tray and a vintage metal magazine rack side table.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

To create a fun tray table top I'm using a 2005 road map of my neck of the woods in Ontario, Canada. I found the tray with a $10 4 piece silver tea set.

The tray was a fifth wheel because it didn't match the set, so it's been waiting quite a while for its project day to come.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

I covered the tray n decoupage medium.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

After cutting out my map piece I added it on top of the decoupage medium and smoothed it out using my hand inside a plastic baggie.

I get these baggies all the time when I buy craft supplies at the thrift stores.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

Once my map was dry I added 4 coats of decoupage medium on top, allowing it to dry in between and then I glued a $1 heavy faux pearl necklace all around the outside.

This adds a pretty element, but also hides any uneven cutting, if there is any, around the map.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

Here's the gold metal before of the magazine rack that was a roadside freebie a few years ago. It has fun faux bamboo legs.

I think there was probably originally a glass inert at the top.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

I spray painted it white with two light coats of a paint and primer spray paint combo.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

And the decoupaged map silver tray sits nicely right on top.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

The tray can easily be removed for serving, and it's heavy so it's definitely strong enough to hold glasses or mugs... or even a few books that we're currently reading, which will also be stored underneath.

diy decoupaged map silver tray table

To see more pics and tips for this project check out my blog post Decoupaged Silver Tray Table.

Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty