Can I use waterproof vinyl flooring to cover shower walls?

CarinToni @ Girl, Just DIY!Mel24141848
+4

Renovating bathrooms and want to use Vinyl flooring. WILL IT WORK? ITS WATERPROOF FLOORING? ANY SUGGESTIONS? THX IN ADVANCE AND GOD BLESS

• Kelli L. Milligan

No, not made for that, will grow mold behind it.

• Pjo26908388

There are some click together panels that can be used in a shower. That do look a lot like flooring, perhaps that could be a useful alternative.

Flooring is not commonly designed for this purpose. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

• Gk

Vinyal flooring would probably not hold up to the moisture as a shower wall. There would be many seams that would collect moisture. Great for the floor but not for a shower wall.

• Nada, I'd use tile!

• Mel24141848

That is very unconventional. But I think it could work. As long as 1- u use 3 whole pieces for each side, not the squares. 2- it is glued completely . 3- sealed in every corner and seam. Neat experiment! We put it on our floors and then soak and scrub them. Might work. Good luck!

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

I wouldn't recommend it because you couldn't get enough of a seal in the corners to keep water from finding it's way to the wood beneath. Besides, waterproof vinyl flooring is only mean to be waterproof from spills that are quickly wiped up. The prolonged exposure to water and moisture from the shower will probably fail pretty quickly.

• Carin

Why couldn't she seal the back with Zinzer waterproof seal? I used it (white) on my bathroom walls 10 yrs ago as my primer, liked the white, so I just left it unpainted! It's a plastic like primer. I've had NO problem with water, mold, etc. I love it. Couldn't the wall be painted with zinnzer - sp? Let dry about a week or 2 in this warm weather, Then paint it on the back of her 1 sheet lenolium, let dry, then put it up? Just curious ... from Oklahoma!