Can I use waterproof vinyl flooring to cover shower walls?

Benjamin EbertShellyDallas
+7

Renovating bathrooms and want to use Vinyl flooring. WILL IT WORK? ITS WATERPROOF FLOORING? ANY SUGGESTIONS? THX IN ADVANCE AND GOD BLESS

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

No, not made for that, will grow mold behind it.

• Pjo26908388
    Pjo26908388

There are some click together panels that can be used in a shower. That do look a lot like flooring, perhaps that could be a useful alternative.

Flooring is not commonly designed for this purpose. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say.

• Gk
    Gk

Vinyal flooring would probably not hold up to the moisture as a shower wall. There would be many seams that would collect moisture. Great for the floor but not for a shower wall.

• By Brittany Goldwyn
    By Brittany Goldwyn

Nada, I'd use tile!

• Mel24141848
    Mel24141848

That is very unconventional. But I think it could work. As long as 1- u use 3 whole pieces for each side, not the squares. 2- it is glued completely . 3- sealed in every corner and seam. Neat experiment! We put it on our floors and then soak and scrub them. Might work. Good luck!

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!
    Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

I wouldn't recommend it because you couldn't get enough of a seal in the corners to keep water from finding it's way to the wood beneath. Besides, waterproof vinyl flooring is only mean to be waterproof from spills that are quickly wiped up. The prolonged exposure to water and moisture from the shower will probably fail pretty quickly.

• Carin
    Carin

Why couldn't she seal the back with Zinzer waterproof seal? I used it (white) on my bathroom walls 10 yrs ago as my primer, liked the white, so I just left it unpainted! It's a plastic like primer. I've had NO problem with water, mold, etc. I love it. Couldn't the wall be painted with zinnzer - sp? Let dry about a week or 2 in this warm weather, Then paint it on the back of her 1 sheet lenolium, let dry, then put it up? Just curious ... from Oklahoma!

• Dallas
    Dallas

Hey I really wanted to try this myself. Did you try it if so how did it turn out?

• Shelly
    Shelly

Haven’t tried was looking for a more economical way to redo shower

• Benjamin Ebert
    Benjamin Ebert

You absolutely can use it in the shower. I don't know why everyone is saying no. Grout is actually more water prone/absorbent than the vinyl would be. Maybe they just haven't seen it done so they think it can't be done??? And it's not just diy's doing it either. Some builders and landlord s have been doing it for yrs, and some manufacturers (SMI is one I believe) even say you can. If you are going to do it, just do lots of research before you do because there is a lot of misinformation online on how to do it. Because unlike tile, which has standard installation methods, vinyl's installation can vary widely from product to product.