The Unfinished Chest of Drawers

$30

We sold the Cottage and moved. Did I mention that our buyer also bought most of our furniture? Yes, she did, and we were in dire need of someplace to put our clothes. After much discussion, the decision was made to buy an unfinished piece for me to finish. Since the new place is small, we started out with one unfinished chest of drawers. Check out the before pic on my blog. I forgot to take a photo of it and had to use a stock photo, that won't post here.

The top was stained with dark walnut stain, followed up with 3 coats of satin polycrylic.

Once the top was done, I primed and then painted the dresser in Silver Lining Chalk Paint. Before I started the drawers, I brushed some walnut stain on those edges so it would show through after distressing. You can see what I mean in the picture above. The drawers were painted with chalk paint as well, White and Silver Lining. At this point, it was looking pretty plain:

A stencil was needed, but there were 2 problems:

1 - I couldn't find one I liked.

2 - They were EXPENSIVE! Have you priced stencils lately??

Since I'm a problem-solver - HaHa!! I got out my Cricut and found a vine I liked. Hit 'cut to page' 2 times and this is what I got:

Starting with the bottom drawer, I did a lot of playing with the pieces before I got out the paint. Since the stencil was just cardstock, I used the stencil more as a guide and hand-painted the vine. Just a note....the drawers were removed from the dresser and placed in order on the floor for stenciling.

Once the stenciling was done, 3 coats of polycrylic were applied to each drawer. The knobs were spray-painted white and the dresser was reassembled!

I especially love that the stencil didn't cost me a dime.  If you'd like to see a close-up of it, stop by my blog.

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Ann|The  Apple Street Cottage

• Veronica

How did you paint the stencil so perfectly? I see you said you used it as more of a guide. Did you trace it in pencil first and then paint? Thanks, I’m inspired!

• Flipturn

Taking the extra time to paint carefully creates crisp professional calibre results!