Which hardware should I use to mount pre-drilled shelves?

Cheryl WilliamsenBetsyMogie
+1

what should I use to mount a shelve that already have constructed holes for mounting to a wall?

• Sharon

Depends on your wall type, I would first look to see if I could screw in the mounting screws into studs. Studs are usually 16" on center. If you can't get it lined up to use the screws into the studs, then I would drill a slightly smaller hole into the wall board and hammer in a plastic anchor, then put in your screws leaving them out about 1/8" to slide the shelf onto the screw heads.... be sure to measure the distance between them correctly.

If they are mounted onto just the wall board, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on the shelf.

• Mogie

A picture would be helpful so we could provide more accurate answers.

Hi Linda: Are you talking about the holes already in the shelving? You would use flat head screws that fit into the openings. Screw them into the wall, hopefully at studs, if not, use expanding screw anchors (https://www.homedepot.com/p/14-16-5-16-in-x-1-1-2-in-Green-Pan-Head-Combo-Drive-Plastic-Ribbed-Anchors-with-Screws-5-Pack-803832/204273411), and then just position the shelves over the screw heads. Make sure that the screw is a bit longer than the wall is thick and maybe 1/4" more so that you can fit the shelve on the screw head. I'm not sure how secure or strong the shelves would be, but if they are small, like for knickknacks, that's what you would do. Good luck

• Cheryl Williamsen

Particle board or MDF shelves need judicious mounting to prevent them from breaking at the mounting points.

Please send a pic. Thanks.