Miriam
Miriam
  • Howard Beach, NY

Can you help me troubleshoot my garbage disposal?

JeffreyphFlipturnDoris Yates
+2

My food disposal is not working .i fallow the manual instructions. .now is making a big noise..inside..how i fix that.?.

• DesertRose

You may have something down in the disposal or something may have come loose. If you use a flashlight and cannot see anything, you might need to have a professional look at it. I would be very careful with anything electrical as it can be unsafe for diyers.

Hi Miriam: You probably got something stuck in there that you can't see. First, unplug the disposer. Try to turn it on as there may be a little charge left in the coil. Then, get a broomstick, put it in the disposal and try to turn it. You may have to go both ways and push pretty hard. Remove the broomstick and put a towel over the opening of the disposal in case it starts and stuff starts flying around. Plug it back in and see if it turns on. If not, there should be a restart button somewhere on the disposer, underneath the sink. It's usually red. Give that a couple of pushes and see if it starts. If not, then you may need a new disposal. Hopefully this will do it for you. Good luck.

• Doris Yates

Betsy's answer is good information. If I read this before I called the plumber...I would have saved $$$$$$$$. He pushed the red button on the bottom of the disposer and ...............it started up just fine. Kudos to Betsy......

• Flipturn

The safest way to ensure that there in NO electricity going to the disposal is to turn the breaker switch on the electrical panel that controls it to OFF.

This is often easier than unplugging the disposal unit, as often the plug is in a tight space that is physically hard to reach.

Better to be safe than to loose a finger!

• Jeffreyph

At the bottom of the disposer is a small hole in which an Allen wrench can be inserted. Wrenches should come with the disposer. Put it in and turn it at least one full turn both ways. Then hit the restart button and turn on. Jeff