How can I keep my tomatoes from getting sunburned?

Mary DodgeBrittany @by Brittany GoldwynLittle Sprouts Learning
+2

My tomatoes have sun spots due to having no shade. We have had extremely hot temperatures and high humidity.

Hi Sherilynn: You can get some netting to put over your tomatoes, just be sure that the holes are small to give the best shade. Good luck

• You can purchase shade cloth to put over them. This should allow enough sun to get through for growth, but keep them from getting burned.

• Little Sprouts Learning

Shade cloth is best! YOu can get it at lowes or home depot.

• Same problem here. Perhaps try cheap tulle from the fabric store if shade cloth is pricey.

• Mary Dodge

Had the same problem. I took the umbrella and base from my patio table and positioned it on the edge of my garden so my tomatoes had shade during the hottest part of the day. My garden is only 8 x 8, so this wasn't hard to do. I just added large rocks to the umbrella stand so it wouldn't tip in those microburst storms that kept popping up, and cranked it close when high winds were expected. Hope this helps.