Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How to Paint Old, Outdated Tile to Look Fresh & New

$150

If you have outdated tile in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, porch or anywhere in your home and you want to update it without the demolition, you’re going to love this post. I’m going to teach you how the professionals transform old tile to look fresh and new.

how to paint old outdated tile to look fresh new

Yes, this is paint. Can you believe it?

This is the old tile on my porch. It was still in good condition, but the style and color were outdated. So, instead of ripping it out it was more cost effective to paint it.

The first step is to use a sander and sand the tile with 60 grit sandpaper. This step is important. Sanding the tile gives the tile (tooth) so that the primer will stick.

After sanding the floor, clean it with TSP.

Next, prime the floor with an oil-based primer. It’s best to apply two coats. Make sure you don’t paint yourself into a corner. Let dry 4-6 hours.

Paint the floor with two coats of floor paint. Let it dry over-night. This can be any color you choose.

There are many different stencil designs to choose from. Make sure you order the correct size. Measure your tile before ordering the stencil. You will also need a stencil brush.

Tape the stencil to the tile. You can use just about any paint for the stenciling. I would suggest a flat or matte-type paint. Latex or acrylic. Go here to  learn how to stencil the correct way.

For the last step, you need to apply 3-4 coats of sealer. This will protect the floor from everyday use. Let each coat dry per manufacturer instructions.

Check this out. A beautiful new floor. Without the demolition, mess, and expense.

If you enjoyed this blog, please follow me on Facebook where I share my DIY tips and resources.

Have some question and need help with your next painting project, go to  Ask Cheryl Phan; and ask away.

XO

Cheryl

Cheryl Phan

• Heather

I want to paint old wall tile on my bathroom wall. Tile is from 1969 and in decent shape. Since it's not on the floor are the steps the same? Do I need to seal it?

• Deanna Maidwell

Did this peel since you did it? I had a paint company paint my porch a couple of years ago and it peeled really badly the next year... I ended up grinding the paint off and now am trying to figure out what to do with it...

• Tamisweet25

If you use a great quality chalk paint like Annie Sloan it should not come off. General paints has a great clear sealant.

• Jog26338914
    4 hours ago

I love this, but can you do this to linoleum?

• Cheryl Phan
      16 minutes ago

Absolutely. As long as it's not peeling up in the corners and it in good shape. follow the same instructions as I did on the tile. Make sure you use an oil based primer. I have a weekly blog if you're interested in learning some of my other DIY projects. Here's the link: https://www.subscribepage.com/diy-projects