How to Paint Old, Outdated Tile to Look Fresh & New

$150

If you have outdated tile in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, porch or anywhere in your home and you want to update it without the demolition, you’re going to love this post. I’m going to teach you how the professionals transform old tile to look fresh and new.

Yes, this is paint. Can you believe it?

This is the old tile on my porch. It was still in good condition, but the style and color were outdated. So, instead of ripping it out it was more cost effective to paint it.

The first step is to use a sander and sand the tile with 60 grit sandpaper. This step is important. Sanding the tile gives the tile (tooth) so that the primer will stick.

After sanding the floor, clean it with TSP.

Next, prime the floor with an oil-based primer. It’s best to apply two coats. Make sure you don’t paint yourself into a corner. Let dry 4-6 hours.

Paint the floor with two coats of floor paint. Let it dry over-night. This can be any color you choose.

There are many different stencil designs to choose from. Make sure you order the correct size. Measure your tile before ordering the stencil. You will also need a stencil brush.

Tape the stencil to the tile. You can use just about any paint for the stenciling. I would suggest a flat or matte-type paint. Latex or acrylic. Go here to  learn how to stencil the correct way.

For the last step, you need to apply 3-4 coats of sealer. This will protect the floor from everyday use. Let each coat dry per manufacturer instructions.

Check this out. A beautiful new floor. Without the demolition, mess, and expense.

If you enjoyed this blog, please follow me on Facebook where I share my DIY tips and resources.

Have some question and need help with your next painting project, go to  Ask Cheryl Phan; and ask away.

XO

Cheryl

Cheryl Phan

• JoAnn

I love this, but can you do this to linoleum?

• Cheryl Phan

Absolutely. As long as it's not peeling up in the corners and it in good shape. follow the same instructions as I did on the tile. Make sure you use an oil based primer. I have a weekly blog if you're interested in learning some of my other DIY projects. Here's the link: https://www.subscribepage.com/diy-projects

• Maura Campbell

My tiles are 12 3/4 " X 12 7/8 (I know that is wierd). I don't know what size stencils to use. I am doing a smaller bathroom and will have to cut around toilet, vanity etc. In your pictures, it looks like your tiles may be 12"?? But your stencil is only used in the corners and that is what creates the pattern. So what size were your tiles and what size stencil did you use? I know you said it is important to use the right size, but "right size" compared to what?

I love how yours came out!! This will be a first stencil project for me and this bathroom is in SORE need of updating!

• Cheryl Phan

I've never seen tile that size. Weird, but any way; don't worry about that. If you are working with a stencil like the one I was using it will work out. Notice I started in the inner corner of each tile. It will create it's design and when you're done it all look consistent. It might not be as uniformed as a perfectly square tile, but it will be close enough. I would try a 12" stencil.

• Margherita McCallum

What would you suggest i use to paint tub surround tiles? I'm renting and i have white plain faded old 3 x 3 " tiles. Is there a special method to do this when it's bath shower tiles? Will the paint fade out or run?

• Bek

LOL, you had me at "stencil." Even the cat gets nervous when she sees the brushes come out! I CAN DO THIS!

• María Ávila

This turned out beautiful, this is genious.