How to Paint Old, Outdated Tile to Look Fresh & New

$150

If you have outdated tile in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, porch or anywhere in your home and you want to update it without the demolition, you’re going to love this post. I’m going to teach you how the professionals transform old tile to look fresh and new.

Yes, this is paint. Can you believe it?

This is the old tile on my porch. It was still in good condition, but the style and color were outdated. So, instead of ripping it out it was more cost effective to paint it.

The first step is to use a sander and sand the tile with 60 grit sandpaper. This step is important. Sanding the tile gives the tile (tooth) so that the primer will stick.

After sanding the floor, clean it with TSP.

Next, prime the floor with an oil-based primer. It’s best to apply two coats. Make sure you don’t paint yourself into a corner. Let dry 4-6 hours.

Paint the floor with two coats of floor paint. Let it dry over-night. This can be any color you choose.

There are many different stencil designs to choose from. Make sure you order the correct size. Measure your tile before ordering the stencil. You will also need a stencil brush.

Tape the stencil to the tile. You can use just about any paint for the stenciling. I would suggest a flat or matte-type paint. Latex or acrylic. Go here to  learn how to stencil the correct way.

For the last step, you need to apply 3-4 coats of sealer. This will protect the floor from everyday use. Let each coat dry per manufacturer instructions.

Check this out. A beautiful new floor. Without the demolition, mess, and expense.

If you enjoyed this blog, please follow me on Facebook where I share my DIY tips and resources.

Have some question and need help with your next painting project, go to  Ask Cheryl Phan; and ask away.

XO

Cheryl

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Cheryl Phan

• Margherita McCallum
    Margherita McCallum

What would you suggest i use to paint tub surround tiles? I'm renting and i have white plain faded old 3 x 3 " tiles. Is there a special method to do this when it's bath shower tiles? Will the paint fade out or run?

• Cheryl
      Cheryl

Better check your lease or with your landlord or rental company before doing this

• Rmb26419302
    Rmb26419302

What if I have a concrete floor what do I need

• Barbara Moody
    Barbara Moody

Does it have to be oil-based primer?

• Cheryl Phan
      Cheryl Phan

No it doesn't have to be oil based primer. I like using it because its stronger and it seems to stick better.