DIY Striped Plywood Floor Makeover

$0

I am a girl who loves color, and after we removed some dark brown vinyl plank flooring from our living room I was so looking forward to lightening and brightening the old plywood floor that was underneath.

I already had everything I needed for this project so my cost for this makeover was nothing.

diy plywood floor makeover

Here's what it looked like after we removed the brown vinyl plank.

To see more pics and info on this project please check out my DIY Living Room Floor Makeover post.

diy plywood floor makeover

I cut my plywood floor to look like old wooden planks with a sharp xacto knife, following pencil lines that I drew on the floor with a ruler.

diy plywood floor makeover

Here you can see what the plywood looks like after all the cutting.

diy plywood floor makeover

The I panted the whole floor with a ReStore white paint and primer combo.

diy plywood floor makeover

Here are the five colors I'm using on my floor.

diy plywood floor makeover

It's getting a colorful striped treatment.

diy plywood floor makeover

I just followed the cut lines with my 5 paint colors.

diy plywood floor makeover

Once all my paint colors were done and dry the entire floor got a dry brushing treatment on top to tone down the brightness and to make them look aged.

diy plywood floor makeover

And here's one view of my finished striped plywood floor.

diy plywood floor makeover

And here's another view.

I did my floor over several weekends, but it wasn't really that difficult. It just took some time and patience.

To finish it off I gave my floor two coats of a stays clear poly to protect it and so it doesn't yellow.

This was a big project, and there are many more pics and details for each stage of this plywood floor makeover in my DIY Living Room Floor Makeover post on my blog. Check it out!

Tuula McPhee

• Liz

Tuula, would it work to paint the Restore paint on the existing laminate flooring and continue with the colors, dry brushing and sealer like you did? Thanks!

• Tuula McPhee

Hi Liz. I can't be absolutely sure if that will work, but if it were me I would do a test on a spare piece of your laminate first before trying it on your actual floor. I would think you would definitely have to sand the sheen off the floor first, and depending on the floor you might also need to use a high adhesion primer before painting for better durability. Do a test run and see what works. I hope that helps.

• Jamie Boyce

Just wondering....If someone intended to do this, and the existing floor boards were running the same direction that you wanted, could you just remove them one by one and use the edge to draw your lines as you go?

• Jamie Boyce

What I meant was existing vinyl flooring that looks like wood boards. I wondered if you popped up the strips one at a time if you could use that as a guide for your lines, but in thinking about it, there is probably that pad underneath (for 'floating' floors) that would be between the vinyl planks and the plywood subfloor. So.... sorry! I should have thought it through before I asked. Thanks for you reply though

• NBKRNY

Love love love this! You did a fabulous job - so creative!

• Jodi

Looks fantabulous!!! You just gave me ideas on what to do with the plywood under this gross carpet in our "new" outdated home instead of spending thousands. My hubby wont like it but...the outside is his...the inside is mine...right ladies?